Music Banter - View Single Post - ebola
Thread: ebola
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 07:19 AM   #57 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I get bombarded by terrible **** on TV every day. Shootings, drug wars, kidnappings, actual wars, serial killers, terrorism, corrupt politicians, genital mutilation, genocide, child soldiers, sex slavery, race riots, religious fundamentalism, and god knows what else. Often time it's sensationalized entertainment, like when a black boy is kidnapped, molested, and dumped somewhere and you never hear about it, while the whole world stops to stare at the TV and eat popcorn when a cute little white girl is taken. After twenty-eight years of tragitainment, I've become desensitized to many of the things happening to the other seven billion people whom I've never met, will never meet, and probably will never be on the same continent as. The world wants me to see all the horrible **** in existence? Well congratulations, I've seen it, and so it really shouldn't come as a shock if my reservoir of empathy is running a bit dry at the moment. Obviously this is terrible, but it's just one more instance in a never-ending series of tragedies assaulting my senses and I have a hard time differentiating between them all at this point.
Batlord, I completely understand why you feel the way that you do, about things like this. We're exposed to it all the time, everywhere. I'm not necessarily knocking you for it either. I am knocking the people that completely treat this as something to laugh at, it's more that than the I don't care attitude at this point, even though that too, bothers me.

You don't need to defend yourself man, I like you, you're a cool dude so far. But I won't keep it to myself when you say stupid **** either, just so we're clear haha. Not that you said anything stupid here, just fyi.

I won't ever meet these people either. There isn't really anything I can do to help them, that eats at me, but what can I do about not being able to do anything for any of those people in third world countries? I don't really have any options. If I had the means, the money, I'd go help in a heart beat. When you've got a selfless heart like mine, or when you're someone like me that has always wanted to help anyone I could, even strangers. It's hard to just become indifferent or desensitized to everything tragic that is thrown in my face, because I care too much. Chasing that perfect world that doesn't exist...
CoNtrivedNiHilism is offline   Reply With Quote