Music Banter - View Single Post - Time & Place
Thread: Time & Place
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #66 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Also I often find that when people get into metal from other types of music, their entry point into metal is usually from something not too different from what they already like. For example somebody into punk will probably come in through hardcore and into thrash, somebody from prog rock will look at prog metal etc, whereas somebody like myself who came through AOR would look for melodic metal with a sense of flair, which often means they won't see the finer details of something they might be not be that used to, for me I still struggle to get into heavily influenced punk stuff etc. Now as for DH I got into them quite late as a metal listener (I kind of bypassed them) but when I did get into them it was like discovering a pot of gold that I'd completely missed and had all the aspects that I looked for in a metal band and what made it even better was that the songs took their time to creep into my subconscious and when they did that was it.
I somewhat agree with you about that. I first started liking metal during the crossover time period and probably because of that I've always preferred my metal with a healthy dose of hardcore influence. I never thought if it that way before, but that really explains why I love modern, sludgier doom yet have a hard time getting into trad doom.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote