Music Banter - View Single Post - Avantgarde/experimental fans among your friends/relatives etc.
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Holerbot6000
Music Mutant

I used to think it was my DUTY to turn my friends on to all the wonderful music I was discovering that they might not otherwise hear. Then I would be surprised and sometimes even a little hurt when they would just look at me like I'd had a brain aneurysm or just arrived from the planet Tralfamador. And I could not even win for losing. I'd finally find that friend who actually liked listening to the sound of someone banging on a can and screaming and I would proceed to alienate THEM with some Desi Arnaz or Carmen Miranda record. I was too eclectic for my own good!

I think it was at some point in my mid-30's when I just gave up and stopped trying to be a musical pied piper for my friends and family. Everyone I knew was listening to the Dave Matthews band (Yack!) and I was trying to turn them on to these grimy little Japanese garage bands I was digging. I just had to accept the fact that, musically, I was on my own.

I just play what I like now and damn the torpedoes and, funnily enough, now I get people asking me all the time - Hey what is that you're listening to?
Holerbot6000 is offline   Reply With Quote