Music Banter - View Single Post - What Jazz album are you listening to?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #214 (permalink)
Moss
Scuttle Buttin'

yeah, I have to admit, I'm more of a strict Bebop guy at this point. Listened to A love Supreme again today as I took a walk and it sounded even better, just amazing. The musician side of me can understand him playing that 4 note phrase in all 12 keys in "acknowledgment". And in "Resolution" there is that amazing repeating phrase interspersed with the mesmerizing improv.

But I did listen to a bit of Temple and the free jazz aspect. In some ways I love it but I dont' really understand it and not sure how to close that gap. I don't think it's just noise but I like to understand what is going through an artists brain a little bit. There are entire sections that are just squeaking and squawking and I love it but at what point is it just a guy making noise in a sax? I compare it a bit to Sonic Youth (who I llove) and the dissonance they create is beautiful. Am I supposed to admire it as just being completely out there? Is it a guy pouring his soul into his instrument? Is there a musicality to it from a pure brainy music theory aspect?

Believe me, I know these are stupid questions but I'm trying to understand it a bit. Maybe I don't need to and just enjoy it for what it is. I don't know.
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote