Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Jazz & Blues
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #211 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss View Post


Just got this one to listen to but after that I was thinking of checking out Blue Train or Giant Steps. But maybe I will try that Interstellar Space.
It's more free jazz than bebop, I'm not sure if that's up your alley but if it is you should check out Ascension as well. Sun ship is sort of between the two so you might like that as well. Those two albums you listed are more in the bebop field.

Tl;dr you should listen to all of Coltranes discography.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #212 (permalink)
Do good.
 
Blarobbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 2,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
It's more free jazz than bebop, I'm not sure if that's up your alley but if it is you should check out Ascension as well. Sun ship is sort of between the two so you might like that as well. Those two albums you listed are more in the bebop field.

Tl;dr you should listen to all of Coltranes discography.
Yeah, if you're jumping from Blue Train to Ascension you're gonna have some problems. Just go in order. All of his albums are fantastic, and then you'll work up slowly to his crazier stuff and won't get musical whiplash.
__________________
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Blarobbarg

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #213 (permalink)
Music Mutant
 
Holerbot6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: near a record store
Posts: 327
Default

Big difference between Blue Train and Interstellar Space. Blue Train is excellent but pretty straight bebop, whereas Interstellar Space is a lot more free jazz. Not as crazy as OM or Sun Ship or Ascension but still pretty out there. Just sayin'.

I've been listening to this new Sun Ra comp. Really excellent.
__________________
"I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the fook is this garbage?' And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers." - Nick Cave
Holerbot6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #214 (permalink)
Scuttle Buttin'
 
Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boulder Colorado
Posts: 961
Default

yeah, I have to admit, I'm more of a strict Bebop guy at this point. Listened to A love Supreme again today as I took a walk and it sounded even better, just amazing. The musician side of me can understand him playing that 4 note phrase in all 12 keys in "acknowledgment". And in "Resolution" there is that amazing repeating phrase interspersed with the mesmerizing improv.

But I did listen to a bit of Temple and the free jazz aspect. In some ways I love it but I dont' really understand it and not sure how to close that gap. I don't think it's just noise but I like to understand what is going through an artists brain a little bit. There are entire sections that are just squeaking and squawking and I love it but at what point is it just a guy making noise in a sax? I compare it a bit to Sonic Youth (who I llove) and the dissonance they create is beautiful. Am I supposed to admire it as just being completely out there? Is it a guy pouring his soul into his instrument? Is there a musicality to it from a pure brainy music theory aspect?

Believe me, I know these are stupid questions but I'm trying to understand it a bit. Maybe I don't need to and just enjoy it for what it is. I don't know.
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #215 (permalink)
Music Mutant
 
Holerbot6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: near a record store
Posts: 327
Default

Well with Free Jazz, you have to accept that the spirit is flowing through these guys and they are just trying to give voice to it. Sometimes it's garbage and sometimes its sublime. Albert Ayler called it the Holy Ghost and that feeling of possession, when you are totally in the moment, is something any musician understands. I think when it's free, it's especially exciting because you are actually creating something out of the air. Still, as anyone who dabbles in 'Improvised' music knows, it can be a lot more fun to play than it is to listen to.

I think Coltrane in particular had a lot more structure to his free jazz. There was always a lot of thought behind everything he did. Remember that Ascension was recorded multiple times so it wasn't just improvised.

Someone else said to listen to Coltrane chronologically to help his later music make more sense. I think that is an excellent suggestion. I started with the Miles Davis quintet stuff and slowly moved on from there. One day I was listening to Ascension and I just got it. Oddly enough, I consider that very happy music - it rejuvenates me and makes me smile. What I love about jazz is that it's so rich with ideas, you can mine it forever.
__________________
"I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the fook is this garbage?' And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers." - Nick Cave
Holerbot6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #216 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss View Post
yeah, I have to admit, I'm more of a strict Bebop guy at this point. Listened to A love Supreme again today as I took a walk and it sounded even better, just amazing. The musician side of me can understand him playing that 4 note phrase in all 12 keys in "acknowledgment". And in "Resolution" there is that amazing repeating phrase interspersed with the mesmerizing improv.

But I did listen to a bit of Temple and the free jazz aspect. In some ways I love it but I dont' really understand it and not sure how to close that gap. I don't think it's just noise but I like to understand what is going through an artists brain a little bit. There are entire sections that are just squeaking and squawking and I love it but at what point is it just a guy making noise in a sax? I compare it a bit to Sonic Youth (who I llove) and the dissonance they create is beautiful. Am I supposed to admire it as just being completely out there? Is it a guy pouring his soul into his instrument? Is there a musicality to it from a pure brainy music theory aspect?

Believe me, I know these are stupid questions but I'm trying to understand it a bit. Maybe I don't need to and just enjoy it for what it is. I don't know.
It really depends on the artist. Some throw musicality out the window and replace it with passion. A lot of free jazz artists utilize theoretical elements in their improvisations, Coltrane is the best example of this. While some might not be uber theory based, I think that new approaches and ideas (or revamping of ideas, as many free jazz artists do) is one thing to appreciate about the genre. I think free jazz is really the music of the soul and the thing that I love about it is how spiritual it can be, and a lot of artists agree based on tracks from artists like Coltrane, Ayler, Don Cherry, and Charles Gayle. There's no right way to appreciate music though, but the Holy Ghost (as Ayler called it) coming down through music as the musicians pluck it out of the air is what draws me to free jazz.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #217 (permalink)
Music Mutant
 
Holerbot6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: near a record store
Posts: 327
Default

I like that I am so far sympatico (mostly) with Frownland, but I have to admit, he writes better paragraphs than I do.
__________________
"I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the fook is this garbage?' And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers." - Nick Cave
Holerbot6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #218 (permalink)
Scuttle Buttin'
 
Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boulder Colorado
Posts: 961
Default

You are both very helpful. I can appreciate pure "theory" music and pure "feel" music but was just not sure where free jazz lies on that spectrum. I guess it's kind of a mix where you have theory monsters just letting go and being free to play from the soul. That's how I like to picture Coltrane. But I do like the structure of a good line with elements of free improvisation which is why I currently gravitate towwards the classic Bebop. Will be scrolling through this thread for other albums to check out.
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #219 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 10,697
Default

Bright Size Life.
__________________
Flame bait is a message posted to a public Internet discussion group with the intent of provoking an angry response or argument over a topic the "troll" often has no real interest in, and finds humor, or entertainment in reactions.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #220 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss View Post
You are both very helpful. I can appreciate pure "theory" music and pure "feel" music but was just not sure where free jazz lies on that spectrum. I guess it's kind of a mix where you have theory monsters just letting go and being free to play from the soul. That's how I like to picture Coltrane. But I do like the structure of a good line with elements of free improvisation which is why I currently gravitate towwards the classic Bebop. Will be scrolling through this thread for other albums to check out.
You should check out Sonny Sharrock's Ask the Ages. It's free jazz but also very accessible
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.