Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 08:53 AM   #1092 (permalink)
franscar
Honky

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss
oddly enough ( or not so odd ) my sisters are pro choice, but i get the feeling that they take it too lightly, from what i've heard, the choice is not so easy to make and it has serious psychological consequences on the woman.

i'm of the opinion that life starts at the moment of the conception. also, i'm of the opinion that people who are having sex need to be aware of the possibility that they could make a child ( no contraceptive is 100%.....except vasectomy ...snip snip....) and i think that it's the ultimate selfish act of such people to decide to have an abortion when such a thing happens.
What's selfish about abortion? Yes, what you have heard is correct, the decision to have an abortion is an incredibly difficult one for any woman to make, so I don't see how you equate it to selfishness. No woman will have an abortion without serious, serious thought and contemplation, and if the woman feels she is unable to give the child the best possible life, why make herself, the child and the father miserable just because a dusty old book tells us that abortion is "bad"?

My ex-girlfriend went through an abortion. It is a horrible, painful process. She got pregnant despite our use of contraceptives, and only became aware of the pregnancy after we had split. I am a student, and I would've had to leave my education and get a job to help pay for the child, she would've had to leave a job that she loved in a bar because of the smoke inhalation and because the pay was not enough to allow her to support a child, and as we were no longer a couple we could not give that child the life it deserved. What's so selfish about that? That we didn't allow her to go through nine months of painful pregnancy in order to give the child up for adoption at the end of it? Hell no.

Forcing, normally but not always, young girls to carry children in their wombs for nine months and then, after the trauma of labour and child birth being made to give them to someone else, I wouldn't have the arrogance to assume I could tell a woman to do that.