Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 09:15 AM   #1094 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by franscar
What's selfish about abortion? Yes, what you have heard is correct, the decision to have an abortion is an incredibly difficult one for any woman to make, so I don't see how you equate it to selfishness. No woman will have an abortion without serious, serious thought and contemplation, and if the woman feels she is unable to give the child the best possible life, why make herself, the child and the father miserable just because a dusty old book tells us that abortion is "bad"?

My ex-girlfriend went through an abortion. It is a horrible, painful process. She got pregnant despite our use of contraceptives, and only became aware of the pregnancy after we had split. I am a student, and I would've had to leave my education and get a job to help pay for the child, she would've had to leave a job that she loved in a bar because of the smoke inhalation and because the pay was not enough to allow her to support a child, and as we were no longer a couple we could not give that child the life it deserved. What's so selfish about that? That we didn't allow her to go through nine months of painful pregnancy in order to give the child up for adoption at the end of it? Hell no.

Forcing, normally but not always, young girls to carry children in their wombs for nine months and then, after the trauma of labour and child birth being made to give them to someone else, I wouldn't have the arrogance to assume I could tell a woman to do that.
well, this is why i'm not ready to judge or resent people who have gone through it, like i said, i'm a little iffy on the subject, theoretically, like i said, because of my religious background, i think abortion is wrong, it's the termination of life and as such ( again, if you're not religious this has no relevance for you ) is wrong and has it's consequences.....i think it's a selfish act because that child did not ask to be made and because the decision to end it's life is guided by selfish needs, like you said, you weren't ready to end your future prospects or the life that you were leading, saying that that child would not have had the life it deserved and therefore it was better to end it ...well....as harsh as it sounds , it's bullshit.....plenty of kids are poor and barely survive, but that condition is not permanent, it's possible to change it and to make their lives better, and i think if you ask any of them if they would like to be put to death , they would say they don't want to die just yet....i don't know if i'm making any sense here.....i don't want to make you feel any worse about what happened, and i don't exactly equate aborton with murder, but that decision was and is made according to selfish needs, the needs of the mother to be or the father to be, THEY'RE not ready for the child......i can tell you right now that happiness is not conditioned with money, i would have been perfectly happy if i was shit poor but had parents that loved me.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixpunk
the choice is theirs to make, if you are against it, dont have one, but I dont think taking that personal choice away from another person because of your beliefs is right. By making abortions illegal, youre increasing the odds of women to go have "back-alley" abortions. I say if youre set on having an abortion, you should be able to have one and have it done in a safe enviroment by someone professionally trained to do it.
by all means, even if i am against it, i would never ask for the option of abortion to be abolished, women should definetly have the right to decide and do it in a safe enviroment.....

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote