Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 10:48 AM   #1095 (permalink)
franscar
Honky

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss
i think it's a selfish act because that child did not ask to be made and because the decision to end it's life is guided by selfish needs, like you said, you weren't ready to end your future prospects or the life that you were leading, saying that that child would not have had the life it deserved and therefore it was better to end it ...well....as harsh as it sounds , it's bullshit.....plenty of kids are poor and barely survive, but that condition is not permanent, it's possible to change it and to make their lives better, and i think if you ask any of them if they would like to be put to death , they would say they don't want to die just yet....i don't know if i'm making any sense here.....i don't want to make you feel any worse about what happened, and i don't exactly equate aborton with murder, but that decision was and is made according to selfish needs, the needs of the mother to be or the father to be, THEY'RE not ready for the child......i can tell you right now that happiness is not conditioned with money, i would have been perfectly happy if i was shit poor but had parents that loved me.....
No, it isn't making sense. What is the point of bringing more and more children into this already overcrowded world when the parents by their own admission are not capable of bringing them up correctly? There's already plenty of kids commiting suicide because of depression, alienation, poor upbringings and a lack of emotional connection with the people around them.

I can't understand how you can give so little weight to the thoughts and needs of the two people with the biggest responsibility to any child born into this world. And on your point about money, well lets put it like this. You never see your parents because they are always working to scrape together enough money to feed you, clothe you, and bring you toys. You think you'd be happy without that relationship?

Don't worry, you can't make me feel worse for the decision we made, because we both knew at the time it was the right decision to take. I just take issue with the use of the word selfish, especially when it isn't backed up with anything more productive than "you might not have been poor forever". The reality when you're in the situation is a lot more serious than to be clouded by might be's what if's and maybes not's.

I'm not even going to get into a debate as to the "life" of a foetus, because it will end up being bogged down in theocracy and I have no toleration for religious agendas.