Music Banter - View Single Post - Avantgarde/experimental fans among your friends/relatives etc.
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Zack
Music Addict

It depends on how much time they spend with me. For example, my wife solely listened to a select subset of relatively tame metal genres when she met me, Goth Metal, Ambient, Melodic Death metal...

Now, her favorite groups are in the post-metal, experimental stuff, like Toby Driver and Maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot.

She's even getting really into some Minimalist/Drone Musics, ala Theater of Eternal Music, and lately she's been expressing interest in listening to more spectral compositions. From Wolves in the Throne Room to Tristan Murail is a pretty good taste-expansion!

But no, I feel that most people, unless repeatedly exposed to things, will generally not become comfortable enough with them to enjoy them. If all you've ever heard is Country/Western, Blues Rock and Folk might be "out" enough to really get your weird senses tingling, and anything beyond that is just "noise."

It takes time for comfort to develop, allowing new exploration to be enjoyable. We're wee, sleekit, cowering, timorous beasties at heart.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote