Music Banter - View Single Post - Avantgarde/experimental fans among your friends/relatives etc.
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
EPOCH6
V8s & 12 Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
A couple coworkers borrowed my MP3 player the other day to play in our back room, having forgotten both of theirs. They set it to play on Random. About 30 minutes later, they returned it saying something like, "Ummm, you can have this back; you're tastes are a bit, well, borderline insane?"

From their descriptions, I think it played some To Mera (Prog-metal), Ravi Shankar, and was starting in on Terry Riley's "In C". Poor, dubstep-listening kids, they had no idea what was in store for them...

The sad part is, none of that stuff is really out there...
I'd suggest being more weary of setting if you want to turn people on to experimental music. The back room at work is probably the last place on Earth suitable for experimental music. The best way to ease friends into weird music is to wait until they're high on something, in a comfortable setting, and go "Hey maaaaaaan, wanna hear something tripppppyyy?", that's when the gates to Valhalla really open and they're truly primed for the new Pharmakon album or Comus' First Utterance or Naked City's Torture Garden or whatever else you have up your nasty experimental sleeves. People generally don't let in weird **** unless their cultural walls have been torn down by something else first, like drugs, or a well made documentary on Netflix, or a well worded post on Music Banter, or a spiked drink....
There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote