Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 01:33 AM   #9893 (permalink)
Dylstew
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewZealand View Post
Pink Floyd do seem quite boring compared to some bands.

Still, let's say that Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones and The Beach Boys is the average person's choice for top 5 bands of all time. I'd have to pick Floyd ahead of the other bands.

I think David, Roger and Rick are rather boring singers. Syd Barrett was probably more interesting. More of a frontman. However I think they were quite innovative. I think they probably pioneered a new type of heavy sound on Ummagumma in 1969. A more powerful haunting sort of heavy sound i.e Sysyphus Part 1 and The Narrow Way Part 2. A sound that probably influenced Black Sabbath.
I also think that Floyd created a type of atmospheric instrumental rock that helped start the type of music classed as "new age". Particularly "Echoes" in 1971 which I'm sure influenced Mike Oldfield who debuted with Tubular Bells in 1973 and is probably recognized by many as the father of new age music. When Pink Floyd returned in 1987 under David Gilmour's leadership I think much of the music learned a bit more towards new age music.
I don't think Led Zeppelin really belongs in that category.

By the way, recently I listened to the Creedence Clearwater Revival discography(except for the last album) for the first time, and I really prefer them over the Beatles or Rolling Stones or whatever.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote