Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #6954 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
You have to unlearn A LOT of modern gaming quirks in order to get good at the Dark Souls games. I can't speak for Dark Souls II because I haven't played it yet, but as someone who put about 80 hours over the last month or so in the first, I can say with some authority that it's a game that reward patience. You have to learn how to time your attacks, when to block, when to dodge, when to parry and riposte, etc. You need to learn you enemy attack patterns and adjust your play style accordingly. I can also say that if you stick with it, the feeling of elation when you win is so overwhelming that it more than makes up for the frustration that was every point before that.

I will also say that there's no shame in looking up a basic tutorial, because yeah, the game doesn't explain half the content or what to do which is something that we've grown so accustomed to over the last decade in gaming, that it is rather jarring when it's inexplicably removed.

Stick with it though, I've nearly beaten Dark Souls and I can say without a doubt that it is quite possibly the greatest RPG I have ever played.
Well, this kind of makes me want to give it another shot. The game has received so much praise that I knew there had to be something to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
TLDR - Not for sissy gamers that want everything handed to them.

It really amazes me how much people who suck at video games have ruined them for the more serious gamers. While I understand why companies want to cater to casual gamers, it just annoys the hell out of me how much some content has been dumbed down over the years.
I mentioned in my earlier post that I definitely like a challenging game. There are times when I want to mindlessly kill stuff...that's when I reach for Diablo 3 or a shooter. There are times when I want to seriously use my brain (back in the day, I'd reach for Myst). Or for strategy, an old school Final Fantasy. There are times when I want my hand-eye coordination challenged...which is why I grabbed Dark Souls II.

I agree that casual gamers have sucked most of the challenge from games, but I still appreciate some kind of tutorial to get me on track. For a game that prides itself on being insanely difficult, a little help in the beginning would have been appreciated. There is a very short tutorial stage to get the basics down, but honestly it didn't help at all. And they included giant beasts that took me out 10 seconds after I booted up the game. I guess I should have seen that coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire View Post
If being a sissy gamer means that you expect to be told how to play the game (as in the controls), than I'm a sissy gamer too.

@duga totally agree with you bro. Dark Souls II is cheap as hell.
Did you play it? How far did you get?

Also, I see you live in Arkansas...I just got out of there. Whereabouts? Little Rock?