Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #6957 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Well, this kind of makes me want to give it another shot. The game has received so much praise that I knew there had to be something to it.
Once you get a hang on the combat, you can start to appreciate the other parts of the game, particularly the art and level design which is just amazing. Dark Souls has a sprawling map that is so beautifully interconnected that you just really have to give the designers credit for how they put the world together. The scenery also tells the story, but only enough that you're always intrigued and you always want to move forward to see more of it. In a lot of ways the game reminds me of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarania of Time, where if you can see it, you will most likely visit it at some point, and there will be a giant monster for you to kill.

But don't despair, everyone is horrible at the game when you start, and in some ways they still are. I can fuck up and lose half my health in the early areas of the game still, despite being so high level and having weapons that deal massive amounts of damage, and that's the beauty of the game, it gives you just enough to keep going, but never enough to become cocky. But when you get into the groove and become a death god among the undead, you really feel like a badass. When you can take down a boss who has killed you 6 times in a row without taking any damage, you feel like a badass... and then you're quickly killed for your hubris.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote