Music Banter - View Single Post - Spill Your Guts: What You Really Think About MB members
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #6875 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordwyr View Post
I put posters who say distasteful things or are unkind on my ignore list. I don't want to engage with them on any level, so ignoring them is the best option for me, lest I get myself pulled into some drama I shouldn't be involved in. It's better for everyone.
I think that's a cop-out, to be honest. The way I see it, if someone lacks the personal development necessary to be able to handle negativity in their environment and not take things personally or to some personal extreme enough to affect them, they're avoiding the real issue. There will always be negativity in any environment, and much of it is unavoidable. I think there's greater opportunity in learning how to process things you may find distasteful or hurtful rather than avoiding those things.

That's not to say one should actively seek negativity, but it's to say that while operating in an environment capable of containing such negativity, the option to remove it instead of growing your ability to deal with it is akin to putting your head in the sand. And I feel like that's kind of a disservice to a person's goal of personal development. I find more value in the people that have intellectual skin where the negativity rolls off it like water on a duck. Those are the people that know where they stand and know their own value, regardless of what others think.

Just my opinion.