Music Banter - View Single Post - can someone explain to me again why grime isn't rap?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
Rap isn't a genre tho right? Grime and hip hop (if that's what you mean?) are different, I believe. Grime has its roots in garage and dnb while hip hop is more derived from funk, disco, etc. They both involve rapping. Atleast that's how ive come to understand it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
I've always thought that hip hop was a derivative of soul and funk because that was the primary 'black music' in the U.S. in the 60s & 70s whereas grime is more a derivative of dancehall & reggae which was the primary 'black music' in the UK around the same time.
Both have elements of all of them but I think the primary influences are the main difference.

If that makes any sense.
I know nothing about grime, so the specifics of the possible genre splits are beyond me, but anyway... Drone originated with Earth, which was a band from the Seattle grunge scene, so originally it really wasn't a sub-genre of metal, but nobody questions whether Sunn O))) is metal. Granted, they, and many other drone bands, have introduced explicit metal influences, but a genre's origins don't necessarily dictate its present.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote