Music Banter - View Single Post - can someone explain to me again why grime isn't rap?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #51 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
I haven't denied this tbh. It is true. But posting a rapper referring to Hip-Hop as Rap doesn't refute what I'm saying with the points made about Lauryn Hill/Linkin Park.
yea like i said i'm not disputing that rapping is also a style of vocals that can be used outside of rap music. but rap music/hip hop is defined specifically by the fact that the emphasis is on those vocals. like ratm raps too but there is a lot of emphasis on how their band sounds so it's not actually rap music.

Quote:
It's not just 'me and urban'. There are instrumental Grime labels, DJ's and producers that are pushing this sound. It's it's own thing.

I mentioned Dubstep for a reason, I could post in more depth about the origin of both being the same, the sounds overlapping and so on, but people acknowledge Dubstep as a genre and form of EDM in it's own right and I haven't ever seen anyone claim it's a form of Hip-Hop, or Rap if you like.

Grime is the same but, it's also an umbrella term. If you look on here at related Grime threads, you'll see people referring to Sway, Skinnyman, Giggs etc as Grime. If that's the way you see it then I see your point, because that is obviously regional Hip-Hop.

Some examples of the difference between the two - German Whip. We've all heard it. It's passed off as Grime but it is not, it is clearly Hip-Hop (it's actually a bite of Niggas in Paris and even the production doesn't resemble archetypal Grime music). British Grime journalists are labelling it as such but it is not Grime.

Maniac - Gunslap. I can't see how this could be seen as anything to do with Hip-Hop in any way, and it is taken from the album 'New Age Grime'.
yea, i see where you are coming from. in terms of production it doesn't seem to draw too much from american hip hop. i was really under the impression that it was about the rapper for grime too. tbh i think dizzee can spit pretty decent. thinking about it more i really dont even think that instrumental hip hop like rjd2 etc should be considered the same genre as actual rap music.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote