Music Banter - View Single Post - can someone explain to me again why grime isn't rap?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #54 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
Yeah think we agree in general tbh.

British people do the same as you in thinking that British 'rapping' music from a certain place or time, is Grime.

Goofle asked if it matters on page one.

For me it does to an extent.

It doesn't matter in terms of good music or bad music. I enjoy for example Dot Rotten's earlier CD's even though they are very Hip-Hop sounding. But I am fed up of tuning into pirate radio and live sets, expecting Grime, only to have the DJ play Trap music. I like Grime in my Grime sets. Weird, I know.

Those 'This is UK Grime' CD compilations annoy me as well.
some more thoughts after thinking about it a bit...

really like you said people call that lauryn hill **** 'hip hop' but they wouldn't call it rap i don't think. but they would easily call wu tang rap. so maybe hip hop and rap aren't one in the same actually. here's how i basically see it after thinking about it and keeping in mind what krs was getting at.

he was probably talking about the whole 'hip hop is a culture' angle... where it included break dancing and graffiti as part of the movement too. which is how it started. but hip hop music is usually just a rapper going over beats. but then again they call that lauryn hill **** hip hop, and that dj shadow **** hip hop. but that's not rap music. so i guess hip hop (or grime) is the sound. rap is just music where dude is just rapping over a beat. regardless of whether its hip hop or grime. so i'd still call that dizzee rascal **** rap. and i'll say it's grime too cause of the beat. so it's rap but not hip hop. but like that other **** you sent me with no rap vocals is obviously not rap. i dunno this might sound confusing but it makes sense to me lol.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote