Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #10190 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankycaaant View Post
sounds good to me,
do the people naysaying Greenday's nod for the HoF actually believe every previous inductee has innovated or shaped music?

Popularity and mass appeal is an impact whether you like it or not. You all know who they are, so surely they've made an impact on you.
I have my own share of Green Day music I like. But shaping music or making a huge impact, being innovative, those things should be big qualities or things any nominee has. Undoubtedly, Green Day made an impact and I'd be arrogant to disagree on that, obviously millions of people adore them, god forbid. But their music didn't have anything new to offer, none at all. And I think those that get a nomination, or get in no less, should indeed have done something to shape the world of music. And amassing millions of albums sold, Grammy's, is not shaping the world of music. They're achievements.

I haven't heard any bands that come up and cite Green Day as this huge, life changing influence on their band and the music they play. I haven't read about anyone saying Green Day changed the whole world of Punk Rock, raised the bar, because they didn't, there is just no significant thing Green Day and their music has done for music in general, other than existing and being a successful band. Fact of the matter is Green Day were influenced by Punk, and while you hear it in their music, I would much rather say they're a Rock band.

Last edited by CoNtrivedNiHilism; 12-28-2014 at 09:58 AM.
CoNtrivedNiHilism is offline   Reply With Quote