Music Banter - View Single Post - Win The Batlord Over to Prog
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I think you might enjoy the rabble-rousing images and violence in this early Genesis song... Give it a chance. It's quite heavy for a prog band.
I might as well get god damn Genesis out of the way...

Oh god, that's heavy for prog? I'm ****ed. I guess it is kinda heavy though. It also manages to be whimsical rather than just absurd. I imagine there's gonna be a fine line between like and loathe with Genesis' singing, but whoever that dude is manages to sound charming, and has a fair amount of energy.

I think they might not being going for whimsical though. Sounds like Genesis is going for epic, in the LOTR sense of the word. It is a pretty epic song, but that Hammond organ makes it goofy as well. See Deep Purple for the proper use of a Hammond organ in a rock song.

I could listen to more Genesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah, I would not call Asia prog in any sense of the word, despite having ex-members of Yes and ELP in it.

While you're at it, have one of the greatest songs Marillion ever wrote (don't worry about the radio-tuning bit at the beginning, it's only a few seconds)
I want to punch Marillion's singer in the face for being such a pompous douchebag. He makes Arcturus sound unpretentious. Other than that, I was merely bored by most of it, though there were a few good guitar and keyboard parts. Trollheart is a vag.

Quote:
and since you like creepy/horror stuff, you may get something out of this classic...
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 12-29-2014 at 06:09 PM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote