Music Banter - View Single Post - The French Massacre - Do We Stand Up For Free Speech?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #69 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
And does that apply to Salman Rushdie who was also on their list of people who they wanted dead ?

I don't recall him drawing any pictures like that so does your analogy apply to him too?
Well that's very specific, and I'm surprised at you Urban. I never said that anyone who gets attacked by Islamic fundamentalists deserved it, or did anything to provoke it. What I did say is that in this case, they made easy targets of themselves, and while I do not condone what happened, to make out that they're somehow victims (sic) of a repression of free speech is really simplifying what happened and only looking at it from one side. I do have sympathy for them, but they did kind of bring it on themselves. You can't do that sort of thing and then not expect retaliation.

As for Rushdie, didn't he blaspheme in his book? Even if he did, that wasn't as overt as what these guys did: as I said before, they basically said "We're gonna do what we like, insult who we like, and **** you." And now everyone's whining about free speech. It's not free speech, it's very bad judgement and a belief that they could do and say what they wanted. The reaction was of course extreme, but then, that's why they're called extremists. And nobody has responded to my point about the police officers killed. Did they deserve to die just because some smart **** wanted to show how smart and arrogant he was??