Music Banter - View Single Post - I know what I like: Trollheart's History of Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #25 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I think the Byrds were one of the best bands from the 1960s and really love that album, but again I wouldn't put it in the influential prog category. Yes it's regarded as one of the first ever psychedelic album, because with the race to get a man on the moon, there was certainly a race between bands like the Beatles, Beach Boys and the Byrds to get the first true psychedelic album out.

I've noticed that you kind of question it as being a true psychedelic album, I think it's like a lot of music in its early days as a genre, that in hindsight it doesn't always sound like how you think it should but it was certainly psychedelic for its time.
I think I mentioned that I don't really consider myself qualified to comment on what's psychedelic and what's not, as I have heard very little, but the elements I imagine to go into a psych record are long instrumental freak-outs, lyrics about drugs, odd unconventional instruments (sitars, harpsichords etc) and maybe spoken passages. That could of course all be totally wrong, but I don't get any of that from this Byrds album. Nevertheless, as I said, I'm in no position to decide what's psych and what is not.