Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Burzum racist?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #208 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Some people just don't deserve to be alive anymore.

Google Charles Warner or David Westerfield.
I'm not certainly not disputing that assertion about those two, or at least Charles Warner, as I only gave the latter a cursory Wiki read. Some people are clearly a danger to society, while possibly being subject to a psychology that is aberrant to the point of not possessing what can be reasonably called "human", in the same way that an alien of advanced intelligence might not. Such people may very well pose a threat to society that outways any benefits of treating them as a "normal" human. (Not that I'm advocating subhuman treatment, just that it be kept in mind that these people might effectively be a different species in the psychological sense and might perhaps be treated accordingly in a legal sense.)

I'm just saying that the benefit to society they may provide by being subject to involuntary psychological and non-invasive medical study might also outway the benefits of simply executing them.

Ted Bundy's escape from custody and subsequent murders certainly show that simply imprisoning such individuals is no guarantee that their threat to society has been removed, and so there may actually be a legitimate cost/benefit justification for their execution. I'm just saying that there may actually be a more pragmatic solution.

You haven't responded to any of my posts on the subject, perhaps because you're not interested in my point of view, or you just don't feel like a drawn out debate, but I'm always interested in differing points of view on the subject, as past discussions on another forum have been pretty interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylstew View Post
What a derail.
Sometimes derails can be more interesting than the original topic, at least when the topic has been covered thoroughly. Still, people like the child killers mentioned above must put Varg in just a bit of a better light.

BTW, are you actually interested in reading his writings on his site? They really are often fascinating in a non-morbid way, even amusing when he talks about turning society into a Tolkien-like world. He even mentions genetically engineering orcs, trolls, and dragons in order to give the rest of humanity trials to overcome; although I seem to remember that he might have mentioned using blacks and other "inferior" races for this engineering. And he suggests that world leaders live "like elves", separate from the rest of humanity, and eventually going to the moon.

This is described in detail, by him, in his essay "Civilization".

Burzum.com: The Music of Burzum and the Writings of Varg Vikernes | Library : Writings by Varg Vikernes : Civilisation

Then there's a nice little fictional, sword-and-sorcery, fantasy story he wrote exploring the subject.

Burzum.com: The Music of Burzum and the Writings of Varg Vikernes [ journey:1 ]

His writings and video blogs on ancient Norse and Germanic culture are also fascinating---though whether or not they are truly historically accurate I don't know, as he definitely has an, at times legitimate, grudge against Christianity that may be influencing his reasoning---and are probably as in-depth as anything you'll find on the internet. Even if I didn't know his history I'd find his writings fascinating. If you have any interest in history, mythology, ancient ways of life, or even just exploring an idiosyncratic point of view, his writings are not to be missed just because of his despicable nature, acts, and views. Possibly the most fascinating man in metal, and perhaps music in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Why do we deserve the right to choose who deserves to live or die?
I don't think it's about the "right". Unless you believe in God(s) and the concept of natural rights, then rights are merely what we say they are. If our hand is "forced" by the actions of an individual who is beyond help, then we have to do something, and execution might merely be the best of a series of bad options.

That's not to say that I necessarily support execution, but if I do, it's because it would have to be the most viable solution to a "problem". Again, Ted Bundy escaped custody and murdered several people before his recapture. Granted, this was in a county jail, or a court jail, or whatever, where security is more lax, but the point is that simply imprisoning a person is no guarantee that their threat has been removed. If you had hindsight, would you have been against executing him in order to prevent those post-arrest deaths?
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote