Music Banter - View Single Post - I know what I like: Trollheart's History of Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Just a quick question, in the 'Before the Storm' section are you doing reviews of those albums or just skimming them, as I'm having problems thinking how you're approaching this.
The "Before the storm" section just focusses on the bands who were being formed at that time but had not yet released albums. It's just there to say, these bands were formed before '66 but were yet to actually release material, but they were important to the formation of prog rock in one way or another. It's just, in the cases of many, acknowledging their contribution, which in some instances was merely being the band that split and formed others who went on to great things. I just didn't want to ignore them, even if they don't all get reviewed.

Whether, when they did release albums, I will review them will depend a lot on what else there is to choose from. I wouldn't for instance have bothered with The Byrds had there not been such a dearth of material to pick from that year, prog-wise. But when most of the bands featured in BTS tended not to put out albums before 1968/69, I think they --- some of them --- may have to fight and plead their case to be included. As I said, I can't review every album recorded by every band in a year, and like your journal there will be those that did not make the cut. If they're worth mentioning I may put them in a little section like that.

As for those who definitely will be reviewed, well Moody Blues, Floyd, Soft Machine, Genesis, Tull, Gong .., all of these will be, though bands like The Wilde Flowers and The Syn probably won't, and I doubt I'll be looking at that Organisation album. TBH I haven't really figured it any further than 1967 at this point. I'm certainly open to suggestions.
Quote:
By the way this is not me nitpicking at you like I often do, but as I think this will be one of the best and most informative journals on the forum, let's get this stuff cleared up now
Wow! Talk about praise from Caesar! I don't know if it will reach those heights, but I do plan it to be a proper resource once it's finished, so I'll be making sure I cover as much as I can and trying not to leave anyone significant out.
Quote:
BTW I think the influence of that Velvet Underground is largely focused on punk and alternative music and to be fair I've no idea why it gets on a included on pre-prog lists anyway. Also agree that it's less weird than one would expect from the way people rave over it, in fact give me the Doors any day over it and as for Nico's shocking voice...........
Yeah I didn't want to create a backlash or have people saying "You don't know what you're talking about, call yourself a prog head" etc, but I was just pretty underwhelmed with it. Also, a lot of it seemed to be weird for weird's sake, like hitting plates with a chair? Frownland?
Quote:
I agree that the US bands other than listening to for their experimental focus like Frank Zappa etc, really have nothing much to do with how the formation of prog was taking place in the UK at this time. I mean the Moody Blues, Procul Harum and Pink Floyd all sound distinctly British.
Like I said in BTS, it's pretty amazing how the lion, lion's share of the bands who basically created the subgenre were all British. Apart from Gong and a few Italian bands, the odd Krautrock one and probably more I don't yet know about, you guys really seem to have been the instigators, flag-carriers and trendsetters for prog rock. Whoever heard of an Irish prog rock band?

Thanks for the comments, always appreciated.