Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #22712 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Latest 1st listen downloads/streams:

Rex - 3 (1997)
Vinyl from the lady's collection, never even heard of this band. After a little RYM research, I learned that the drummer is the same as June of 44's, and that he was also Codeine's and Mice Parade's drummer. This is good, slowcore I suppose you'd call it.

Dorian Concept - Joined Ends (2014)
Follow-up to the Austrian producer's 2009 album, When Planets Explode. The first was quite Glitch Hop/Wonky, but this one pulls back quite a bit and is mainly Downtempo.

Twerps - Range Anxiety (2015)
This album has a jangle pop vibe akin to The Bats, The Moles, and The Feelies. Me gusta. I first learned of this band last year because I followed a colleague's Spotify playlist in which he dropped in things he wanted to listen to, his queue essentially, and he dropped in the band's 2014 EP which caught my eye. On this album there are both male and female vocals, I think I counted 3 songs that were sung by the woman. I'm normally not keen on female vocals but these are good tracks and the album works as a whole.

The Proper Ornaments - Wooden Head (2014)
Like Ultimate Painting, this band also features James Hoare from Veronica Falls, but here as part of a foursome rather than a duo. I'm also enjoying this a lot, maybe I should check out Veronica Falls? Or not, I was always scared by the "twee" label on RYM. But I'm enjoying this guy's other bands and their Australian-influenced jangle pop. This is their second album, haven't heard the first.