Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #28201 (permalink)
Machine
moon lake inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
As a serious aside I'd like to address the hipster moniker which undeniably follows me wherever I go.

The term really lost all its meaning about ten years ago when there was a strong social move away from corporate-branded attire and instead toward independent self-expression. Abercrombie made headlines when it shed its trademarked logo-emblazoned clothing line in an attempt to move with the times. As with any social movement, there were easily-identifiable trends in the effort to look "unique," such as the incorporation of Victorian elements into contemporary fashion, and the influence of postmodern "ironic" style, but we're over a decade into the trend now and it's settled down into a more practical sensibility and it's no longer effective to point to a generation of turning-30-somethings and call them "hipsters." They've moved on, and society should as well.

To speak for myself, I've been a classy bastard all my life, and have always had an affinity for neo-Victorian antiques and for gentlemanly-style. Call me hip if it pleases you... I'll just be over here, keepin' it classy.

Thank you.
Well said
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote