Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Introductions
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #28201 (permalink)
Resident rightwing nutjob
 
Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
As a serious aside I'd like to address the hipster moniker which undeniably follows me wherever I go.

The term really lost all its meaning about ten years ago when there was a strong social move away from corporate-branded attire and instead toward independent self-expression. Abercrombie made headlines when it shed its trademarked logo-emblazoned clothing line in an attempt to move with the times. As with any social movement, there were easily-identifiable trends in the effort to look "unique," such as the incorporation of Victorian elements into contemporary fashion, and the influence of postmodern "ironic" style, but we're over a decade into the trend now and it's settled down into a more practical sensibility and it's no longer effective to point to a generation of turning-30-somethings and call them "hipsters." They've moved on, and society should as well.

To speak for myself, I've been a classy bastard all my life, and have always had an affinity for neo-Victorian antiques and for gentlemanly-style. Call me hip if it pleases you... I'll just be over here, keepin' it classy.

Thank you.
Well said
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #28202 (permalink)
WWWP f*cks dogs
 
Doug McClasky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 37,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
Observe the hat.

I like you so far, Mr. Spaceman.
No. No! Bad Pet_Sounds! You do not get to use that man's awesome hat to justify your atrocious felony against the very idea of clothing. If I ever see you in real life and you're wearing that hat, I'm going to snatch it off your head and urinate on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
Everyone hates on hipsters then one joins us and you're all in love. At least Roxy is keepin it real in yet another thread.

The green doors are cool lookin, and I like the chess set also.

@Carpe - Are you trying to make others jealous?
First of all, if all hipsters could make their style work that well, then I would have no problem with hipster fashion. Secondly, the man lives in a manor, which upgrades him from hipster to delightful eccentric.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Doug McClasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #28203 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
As a serious aside I'd like to address the hipster moniker which undeniably follows me wherever I go.

The term really lost all its meaning about ten years ago when there was a strong social move away from corporate-branded attire and instead toward independent self-expression. Abercrombie made headlines when it shed its trademarked logo-emblazoned clothing line in an attempt to move with the times. As with any social movement, there were easily-identifiable trends in the effort to look "unique," such as the incorporation of Victorian elements into contemporary fashion, and the influence of postmodern "ironic" style, but we're over a decade into the trend now and it's settled down into a more practical sensibility and it's no longer effective to point to a generation of turning-30-somethings and call them "hipsters." They've moved on, and society should as well.

To speak for myself, I've been a classy bastard all my life, and have always had an affinity for neo-Victorian antiques and for gentlemanly-style. Call me hip if it pleases you... I'll just be over here, keepin' it classy.

Thank you.
I like you. Please for the love of God stick around.
__________________

CWH
Key is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #28204 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post




These are good Halloween costumes for tall men. Maybe be a ghost this year?
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #28205 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
As a serious aside I'd like to address the hipster moniker which undeniably follows me wherever I go.

The term really lost all its meaning about ten years ago when there was a strong social move away from corporate-branded attire and instead toward independent self-expression. Abercrombie made headlines when it shed its trademarked logo-emblazoned clothing line in an attempt to move with the times. As with any social movement, there were easily-identifiable trends in the effort to look "unique," such as the incorporation of Victorian elements into contemporary fashion, and the influence of postmodern "ironic" style, but we're over a decade into the trend now and it's settled down into a more practical sensibility and it's no longer effective to point to a generation of turning-30-somethings and call them "hipsters." They've moved on, and society should as well.

To speak for myself, I've been a classy bastard all my life, and have always had an affinity for neo-Victorian antiques and for gentlemanly-style. Call me hip if it pleases you... I'll just be over here, keepin' it classy.

Thank you.
Society should move on from a lot of things.

Argue it however you want. I don't even have anything against "hipsters", but this board constantly makes fun of it and like it or not when you're out in public that's the label your gonna get attached to your appearance. It doesn't please me I was making an observation. Welcome to MB.
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...
DwnWthVwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #28206 (permalink)
Nae wains, Great Danes.
 
FETCHER.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where how means why.
Posts: 3,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
Greetings everyone. I received a wonderful welcome over on the Intro thread, and I thought I'd offer a few fun shots of myself and the Manor where I reside.

If you dig old console tube radios, vintage sci-fi paintings, brass, glass and silver, check out my digs, fully-furnished with 2nd hand treasures!

Holy.. hipster.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #28207 (permalink)
David Hasselhoff
 
Paul Smeenus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Back in Portland, OR
Posts: 3,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post

I'm sorry but that is one of the most ridiculous affectations I've ever seen. I feel I have to call it as I see it. Not to say I'm not my own special kind of idiot...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Basically you're David Hasselhoff.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #28208 (permalink)
Gotcha
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 30,357
Default



Your innerspace gets you blues?
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #28209 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
I'm sorry but that is one of the most ridiculous affectations I've ever seen. I feel I have to call it as I see it. Not to say I'm not my own special kind of idiot...
You only say that because you were around when those type of clothes were in fashion.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #28210 (permalink)
David Hasselhoff
 
Paul Smeenus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Back in Portland, OR
Posts: 3,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
You only say that because you were around when those type of clothes were in fashion.

Even in those years I never knew anyone that would sport a cane like that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Basically you're David Hasselhoff.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.