Music Banter - View Single Post - My Top 50 Albums Ever
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Plainview

I don't know: Sun Ra, Alice Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Can, Bjork, Portishead, White Noise, Flying Lotus, Zappa, Pulp, Swans, Death Grips, The Byrds, Kraftwerk, Japan as well as the more standard fare of the 'classic' artists that you'll see on a Rolling Stones list or whatever makes me feel it's fairly diverse. I'm not pretending to have an exceptionally left-field musical taste, and as much as being compared to the list of a third-rate music magazine is a negative, I think the albums I've chosen which share places on both lists genuinely deserve to be held in high regard.

I love The Beatles, I love Dylan, I love the big-name jazz artists like John Coltrane and Miles Davis, I love 60s psychedelia and more modern electronic stuff, and I love Radiohead. Trying to give all of those artists and influences a footing in the list meant picking albums which are symbolic of a certain idea or sound that speaks for the larger genre or sub-genre, so I'm not too fussed if that makes it somewhat unexciting or expected.

Also, really not big on Zeppelin, hence their exclusion from the list. Neither am I a fan of Floyd post-Barrett, or Nirvana or The Smiths or Oasis or Springsteen or plenty of other artists held in high esteem. I do like some more experimental stuff, and I guess this list is trying to be slightly less subjective and more wholly evaluative, a list of pure faves might be more appealing, if one-sided and divisive. I'll probably update this as I listen to more and re-asses.
The overuse of babe/baby, the lack of any sort of discernible originality, the melodrama and the general sense of an especially heinous sort of hardcore vapid stupidity all make me want to jab my eyes out with a drill-press and then hang myself from the CN Tower with an electrified rope that sends shocks in excess of 10,000 volts through my body as I slowly die. While listening to Dream Theater.

Last edited by Plainview; 02-20-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote