Music Banter - View Single Post - If You Want To Know Why The Spill Your Guts Thread Was Closed Read On
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #128 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
If I'm included in this, I'd just like to point out that I try to only go as far as the community is comfortable with. Even assuming I was a rape joke kinda guy, I wouldn't make them cause I know this forum doesn't tolerate that ****. But I'm a great lover of anti-PC humor, and if I feel that racist humor isn't going to rustle the forum's jimmies then I'm perfectly happy to let loose. If anyone was legitimately offended when I used "faggot" ironically in the last week or so I'd back off. All it takes is one person to give me grief and I'm perfectly happy to hold my tongue. I might take joy in good-naturedly annoying people, and if others want to really stir up **** then I may very well find amusement in that too, but I personally have no desire to create a hostile environment -- though if I feel that others are being overly sensitive in a "flying ****ing carpet of social justice" kind of way, then I will disregard their disingenuous outrage with a middle finger and a douchey gif.

But if the mods are specifically talking about some of the **** I've been saying recently as what needs to stop, then by all means, I'll tone it down. I'd just some clear guidelines. Faggot's off limits? Fine. But is it unacceptable to insinuate that Pet_Sounds is gay as a friendly jibe, even if he doesn't take offense? Can I not call Roxy a "flat-chested beaner", even if it makes her laugh? Your (Urban's) "suggestions" are kind of vague. Other people might not have to worry about pushing any envelopes, but it's pretty easy to guess that some of this might be directed at me, at least partially. If so, I need specifics. Seriously.
This attitude entirely misses the point. It's not, at all, about drawing lines in the sand.

If I made some rules up that said "You can say X, but don't go as far as Y", then all that would happen is people would say X a hell of a lot more INSTEAD of Y. And they'd get off scot free under the "rules".

In reality, the problem is more often than not that people who say X far too much, consider it double standards if they're punished for it while a member that says X much less often is let slide.

That's not favouritism or poor rulemaking - it's people failing to recognise that, like Urban Said before - while he won't be offended if you call him a twat once, he'll come down on you if you KEEP DOING IT.

There's no need to outlaw given types of posts or off colour jokes. Eventually, someone is going to post a dead baby joke or something equally horrendous, on these forums. If it's a newbie with no context they'll probably get banned for it. If its a longstanding problem member, they'll probably get banned for it. If it's a longstanding borderline member, they'll probably get warned for it. If it's someone like Janszoon, where we have a long and well known track record of his actual opinions and the fact he's a perfectly nice guy whose morality doesn't endorse that sort of thing in any genuine sense, the likelihood is we'll let it go. Especially if it's clever and witty rather than just offensive and crass.

But the fact is, people need to be aware that when they're posting that sort of stuff they're playing with fire, and have nobody but themselves to blame if their hilarious jokes and knee slapping attitude gets them burned for misjudging their audience or the amount of priveledge the mods (and other members) are willing to extend to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!