Music Banter - View Single Post - Eurovision 2015 Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
misspoptart
gimme gimme

Default Modern Influences

Eurovision isn't really famous for sounding "fresh" or "modern" (with many countries, year-to-year, entering dated songs that may sound catchy but offer nothing new to the scene), but this year three songs in particular sound fresher to me than the rest. They are bass heavy and just the right amount of mysterious.

Enjoy Belgium's entry, which I can't stop listening to. Kind of reminds us of Sia or Lorde but his voice is different enough and since this 18-year-old composed the song and wrote it himself, I'm impressed.

Next up is the adorable but somewhat weird Aminata from Latvia. I want to love this song, truly I do, but it doesn't stick with me as much as I'd like. I forget it easily and have a hard time remembering the chorus. That usually spells disaster for a Eurovision entry. Still, there is something cool about it.

Her vocals are a good example of what I would consider "current." I'm very into her voice and I think this will be cool, albeit forgettable, during the show.

Since songs can only be 3 minutes long, I wonder what the shorter version will be like. I hope she doesn't cut out the electronica-fused interlude bit.

Switzerland's entry is weak, to be honest. Lyrically, vocally, and instrumentally just in general it's very bland. But at least it has something a bit more intriguing about it then the usual generic stuff. I think Melanie's technique will improve before May and I'm looking forward to that.

That's all for today
misspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote