Music Banter - View Single Post - Death Grips
Thread: Death Grips
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #276 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
i'm not trying to say it's not music, really. just that i listen to music for enjoyment. so if listening to it is not enjoyable to me then i have very little interest in it. regardless of how technically proficient or creative it might be. so by "assault on my eardrums" i mean that listening to it is more likely to annoy me or even give me a headache than evoke some sort of emotional response, which is what i look for in music. so i simply opt not to listen to it.
I totally get that. I try not to try to impose my taste on people too much (usually I'm just putting my opinion out there or taking the piss or telling Chula why Journey does objectively suck) because I used to be one of those people who thought to themselves "what the **** is this Captain Beefheart ****?"

Quote:
i don't actually like sun ship... from what i remember i think the first track is alright, dearly beloved is amazing, and the rest of the album ranges from boring to downright annoying/obnoxious.

it could very well be that i just haven't trained my ear to enjoy that kind of music. because i remember the first time i heard jazz music i thought it was pretty terrible, including the coltrane content that i now enjoy.

edit - on a semi-related note... i actually live like 30 mins from coltranes home town atm. there is supposedly some museum there dedicated to him. i want to go but nobody i know irl wants to come with me. i would love to see if i could track down his old church though. that is supposedly where he derived his passion for music from.
Ah okay. I do love Dearly Beloved as well (covered it on my most recent album, actually), and it is a bit different from the rest of the album in the way that it kind of lingers, for lack of a better word. It just keeps going while changing enough to make it interesting, if that makes sense. Give it another shot if you're in the mood, the world can always use more Coltrane fans. I could see the Coltrane museum being pretty sweet, the church to a lesser degree.

Interstellar Space might be worth your time, it's a series of duets with Rashied Ali and Coltrane. It's my favourite of his discography but it does touch on some more freeform areas that might turn you off though.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote