Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do people get annoyed at people who care about minority social issues?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #60 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
You are correct. on both counts imo.Everytime riots happen I shake my head and say,well obviously the million man march ment nothing.

Edit: The problem is that the black community no longer has strong leaders like we did in the 60s.We have **** stirers like Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson, and or morons with mouths full of gold.

Excellent point!!!

I will come back and discuss the black on black crime and police brutality but I want to respond to this one

You are right, this is the problem.

I think the mentality of this generation "black youth" is very different from the past. We still experience similiar racial issues as our past ancestors did but I don't think this generation fights as hard as in the past. Also, I don't think we really have any current black leaders and I personally think that makes a difference. No I am not talking about no Al Sharpton or Jesse J.

We need someone with an influential platform that wants to invest in making changes and risk their life to do it like MLK did but ya know we don't have that. The current influential blacks just care about money and image thats the only difference I see now compared to the past.

In the past, everybody was on the same page ( black celebrities, politicians, regular folk, activists etc) which is what made us strong. Muhammid Ali, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, etc were all down there marching with Martin Luther King Jr in the streets but the current black pop stars of today wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire, its sad how far things have changed.

That's why I always ask why cant social issues be discussed in music anymore because thats all especially African American singers did all through the 60's during the civil rights movement. The whole purpose of it was to bring awareness to a problem that got people thinking (whether people want to admit it or not that does help in making a difference).

Black people, when we are united are strong. No one can't stop us but there is currently a lot of division within our community.

The black youth today need some direction in how they channel their energy when someone does wrong by them. We rioted in the 60's too but we also had someone like MLK who said "No that is not cool, lets do it a different way" we don't have that now.