Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #51 (permalink)
silky smooth
 
YorkeDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 3,660
Default

Being passionate doesn't justify her pretending her opinion is the only valid one and that anyone that doesn't quite agree deserves to be labeled an ignorant racist.
__________________
http://cloudcover1.bandcamp.com/
http://daydreamsociety.bandcamp.com/

Think about how life sucks -> Vent about it on MusicBanter -> Make no progress towards improving life because limited free time is wasted on MusicBanter -> Think about how life sucks
YorkeDaddy is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #52 (permalink)
Music Guru
 
John Wilkes Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,007
Default

i'm just trying to answer the thread's question. she's passionate about black issues, she's black. we're not black, we're not passionate about black issues. seems perfectly logical to me.
__________________
Sic semper tyrannis
John Wilkes Booth is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #53 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,893
Default

Her arguments often come off sounding like police brutality is worse when it targets black people than other races. I don't think she actually feels that way but the way she presents her arguments make it sound like that. I understand it's a problem rooted in racism(for black people) but the issue in it's entirety goes beyond targeting black people.
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump
DwnWthVwls is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #54 (permalink)
Cardboard Box Realtor
 
LoathsomePete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hobb's End
Posts: 7,630
Default

I think the main reason people get annoyed about social issues, at least when discussed on the internet, is because more often than not advocates on both sides turn to generalizations and demagoguery to get their point across. Instead of a discussion they inevitably become mad libs in the form of "all ______ are _______" where you just fill in the blanks with whatever you want. "All Republicans are out of touch, bible bashing anti-intellectuals" "All Democrats are heartbleeding, latte sipping, European envying anti-Americans" or indeed "All cops are authority abusing racists". All you do with that is completely shutdown any kind of discussion and leave a line in the sand that keeps two sides from ever seeing anything eye-to-eye.

I feel like I should mention that I am using the general version of the word "you", not naming anybody specifically.
LoathsomePete is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #55 (permalink)
Former Vulpix
 
Ninetales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: livin wild
Posts: 2,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
Her arguments often come off sounding like police brutality is worse when it targets black people than other races. I don't think she actually feels that way but the way she presents her arguments make it sound like that. I understand it's a problem rooted in racism but the issue in it's entirety goes beyond targeting black people.
no, her argument is that police brutality happens more often to black people than white.
Ninetales is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #56 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,893
Default

No what? I didn't comment about what her argument is. Not sure what you're trying to contradict.
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump
DwnWthVwls is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #57 (permalink)
Former Vulpix
 
Ninetales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: livin wild
Posts: 2,124
Default

well no I didn't get what you got from her posts here I guess. she didn't post about white people getting beaten or killed by police because that's not the issue shes talking about, not because they aren't equally as terrible.
Ninetales is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 04:28 PM   #58 (permalink)
stay the fukc inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 32,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
This makes no sense.
Thanks I thought so too, which is why I felt the need to ask.

Quote:
a lot of times in these discussions people always say "What are you going to do about it?" out of defense because they don't want to talk about the topic or they do not think the topic is that important.
This part kind of sounds like people bringing up the issue of solution is a bad thing.

Quote:
Its an issue that needs intelligent discussions on how it can be fixed and productive people actively fixing it.
Then you're saying here that we need that discussion that you just called a bad thing.

Quote:
You can't just be productive about fixing a problem without talking about the problem and how it can be fixed.
And here you say we have to talk about it. So which is it? Or are you just rambling at this point?
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 04:42 PM   #59 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
I think the main reason people get annoyed about social issues, at least when discussed on the internet, is because more often than not advocates on both sides turn to generalizations and demagoguery to get their point across. Instead of a discussion they inevitably become mad libs in the form of "all ______ are _______" where you just fill in the blanks with whatever you want. "All Republicans are out of touch, bible bashing anti-intellectuals" "All Democrats are heartbleeding, latte sipping, European envying anti-Americans" or indeed "All cops are authority abusing racists". All you do with that is completely shutdown any kind of discussion and leave a line in the sand that keeps two sides from ever seeing anything eye-to-eye.

I feel like I should mention that I am using the general version of the word "you", not naming anybody specifically.
All Petes are loathsome.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #60 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
You are correct. on both counts imo.Everytime riots happen I shake my head and say,well obviously the million man march ment nothing.

Edit: The problem is that the black community no longer has strong leaders like we did in the 60s.We have **** stirers like Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson, and or morons with mouths full of gold.

Excellent point!!!

I will come back and discuss the black on black crime and police brutality but I want to respond to this one

You are right, this is the problem.

I think the mentality of this generation "black youth" is very different from the past. We still experience similiar racial issues as our past ancestors did but I don't think this generation fights as hard as in the past. Also, I don't think we really have any current black leaders and I personally think that makes a difference. No I am not talking about no Al Sharpton or Jesse J.

We need someone with an influential platform that wants to invest in making changes and risk their life to do it like MLK did but ya know we don't have that. The current influential blacks just care about money and image thats the only difference I see now compared to the past.

In the past, everybody was on the same page ( black celebrities, politicians, regular folk, activists etc) which is what made us strong. Muhammid Ali, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, etc were all down there marching with Martin Luther King Jr in the streets but the current black pop stars of today wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire, its sad how far things have changed.


That's why I always ask why cant social issues be discussed in music anymore because thats all especially African American singers did all through the 60's during the civil rights movement. The whole purpose of it was to bring awareness to a problem that got people thinking (whether people want to admit it or not that does help in making a difference).


Black people, when we are united are strong. No one can't stop us but there is currently a lot of division within our community.

The black youth today need some direction in how they channel their energy when someone does wrong by them. We rioted in the 60's too but we also had someone like MLK who said "No that is not cool, lets do it a different way" we don't have that now.
Soulflower is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.