Music Banter - View Single Post - The Confessional Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #3079 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
First of all, don't bring nazis into this. Second of all, people can be awfully hypocritical when it comes to cops; they criticize them when they follow the rules and the laws that have been established by society, and they demonize them if they don't. There is literally no way for them to please everyone, so I would much rather have them just follow the law rather than bend the rules whenever they feel like making exceptions. If you don't like the laws, don't blame the cops; that responsibility falls into the realm of the voting public, and our politicians. Expecting a cop to just rewrite laws to follow their own personal morality would lead to more bad situations than it would lead to good ones (for example, cops killing suspects that they think are guilty without actually trying them in court, forcing confessions out of people so that their arrests/cases solved record is beefed up, planting evidence on people that they don't like, shaking people down for protection money because they think they deserve the extra cash, etc.).
why is it that every time you come at me you seem to change the argument into some **** that i wasn't even talking about. i'm not bitching at cops for following orders. i'm saying don't become a cop if you don't agree with the law. or if you do, then own up to the fact that you are basically making a compromise for pay.

Quote:
And don't call obeying procedural law "compromising their principles". The main "principle" of a good cop isn't to impose their own specific brand of morality onto everyone, it's to provide equal justice as it has been established by society. Saying that cops are compromising their principles for following a set of laws that is created by and applies to everyone is like saying that a society is compromising it's principles for being secular, rather than having the ruler force their religious belief onto everyone.
no, that's a ****ty analogy. let's say you don't agree with abortion, but i say hey if i give you 10,000 dollars can i get this abortion real quick? and you say yes. you just decided to overlook your stance on an issue for pay. or say i'm a democrat but a republican agency comes and offers me 100 dollars a day to put up their signs. once again i'm compromising what i think for the sake of getting a paycheck. explain to me exactly how this is different from not agreeing that lets say drugs should be illegal, but taking a job where one of your main tasks is to arrest people for drugs?
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote