Music Banter - View Single Post - Policing Debate (Moved from the Confessional Thread)
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
fiddler
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
St. Charles, Illinois is notorious for that. It really boils down to the judicial level in most of those cases though.
Yeah there's a couple of towns like that around here, mostly ran by idiots. I love driving through them in uniform and in my cruiser because I go as fast as I want and they can't touch me. Ooops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
Idk how it is where you are but in NJ a warning is an official piece of paper that they hand you. It's still part of the law, it's not picking and choosing, it's a lesser punishment for first time offenders.

Can't speak for all of NJ, but that's how my speeding warning worked.
Great. So, let me hit you with this. I pull up behind you, and blue light you for your taillights being out. Pretty minor thing, not a big deal. I get up to your car window and you've got a crack pipe that's got some crack in your cup holder - in plain sight. If simply ignore it and go on about my business tell you to fix your taillights and that's it - I've ignored a law. I've chosen what law I wanted to enforce. However, if I enforce that law, there's actually two ways I can go about it: I can one bust you for possession of drug paraphernalia or I can bust you for that and the amount of crack in the pipe. After all, you're in possession of both. And according to the law, you're liable for both the pipe AND the crack inside of it. (I know, generally people don't ride around with crack actually in the pipe - I know the whole circumstance is purely stacked and coincidental). How is THAT choice any different from just choosing what laws to enforce all together? At that point I'm not simply interrupting the law, I'm ignoring a completely separate law. So is that really all that better than just ignoring the crack pipe all together?

Point is you say we shouldn't pick and choose what laws to enforce - which we shouldn't - but then if this happened to you and you only got charged for the one and not both, would you stand up and say something about it? Or would you be grateful for not getting busted for both?
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote