Music Banter - View Single Post - Changes to Rule Enforcement
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 04:07 AM   #122 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

I keep debating if I should just send this in a PM, or post it. I'll just leave it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I'm not calling for moderators to act like robots. I think that's an exaggeration and one of several strawmen being thrown around. Are cops in the real world robots just because they don't sit back and do nothing?
I know i'm out of the debate, but if I might interject for a moment, I think that's an unfair analogy. The difference between a human (in this case, a cop) and a robot is not that one sits back and does nothing. And the implication that our current mod team does nothing is not really accurate.

Also, with the whole analogy about MB being a playground...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
As I wrote earlier, musicbanter is like a playground of really noisy kids and the moderators are the parents. If the noisy kids are a bother to you, you get irritated with parents who do nothing. Don't they know the kids will only get worse and louder? When a kid does something outrageously awful, there might be repercussions and then the kid throws a complete tantrum due to the indignation that a parent should try to control them. Usually, everyone else has to watch this and suffer it.
There's nothing wrong with a playground for noisy kids. Implying that the parents are bad just because their children are energetic isn't really fair either, since the whole point of them taking their hard-to-handle kid to the playground was to get them to let off steam that would otherwise be let off at home/school. Plus, they're getting some fresh air and time to play, which shouldn't be taken away from them just because they mildly annoy you. What you're describing as a "bad" place is arguably the most important kind of place there is for a child; I can remember being a noisy kid back in my day, as all of my friends were, but getting to play around in a playground was fantastic, and it was a good break from all of the fighting going on at home. We might have annoyed people, but a parent always stepped in if anyone got hurt (which is comparable to how the mods currently supervise us). It seems to me like you're trying to turn a playground into a library.

In every analogy, you keep implying that the mods are useless; they're cops that "sit back and do nothing", and parents that ignore their kids while they destroy someone's sandcastle. I'm starting to sense an unfair bias in your argument. You also brought up the whole natural selection thing, despite it clearly not being in your favor; if the environment changed, then the bullies would change too. Only the most determined and subtle would survive, making them more effective than ever, and harder to stop. If you change the jungle, then the peaceful plant-eaters will change, but so will the predators. For every benefit your new system brings, it will have detriments to go along with it.

I can understand if you think that MB has become more wild in recent years (which I personally think is just a case of rose-tinted shades), but please don't take our current mod team for granted. This whole discussion isn't about whether the mods are bad and that the proposition will make them good; it's that the mods are already good, and we're discussing if this will make them even better.

Last edited by Oriphiel; 05-30-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote