Music Banter - View Single Post - What am I missing about this album?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
I skimmed through it, and from what I can tell, this is just Trevor Rabin in his comfort zone, with little or no influence from the sources that were around him at that time, save for any lingering effects of the songwriting process from being in Yes, which are prevalent throughout. Big, bombastic soundscapes, and overly saturated guitar were at the forefront in 1989, and he was cashing in. He was a big name in the industry, and probably had some pressure from his backing people to do a solo effort. A lot of times, a guitar player will take certain familiar practice riffs, and generate a motif from them, which they then string a few of these together to form a complete song. No real purpose, or cognitive effort to create something that stirs any emotion other than the writers sense of accomplishment. This, to me, seems to be the approach here, and although it sounds good to the creators ear, will mostly fall flat at the end-user experience. I don't know if I could persuade you to like it anymore than you already do, or don't as is the case, but there's a little bit of perspective from another guitar player.
Thanks for that Plank. I was hoping to get a guitar player's perspective as I said. So maybe it isn't that good. Mind you, I'm told the title track was a song about his native South Africa and the injustices practiced there, so there was some thought put into it. Just maybe, not enough.