Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
I'm back, baby! Again.
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Staring out my window at a world that has changed fundamentally
Posts: 22,605
Default What am I missing about this album?

From time to time, we've all bought or listened to albums that for some reason or another we assumed would be great. Maybe it was our favourite band, we were recommended it, everyone seemed to like it or whatever, but for some reason it just did not click.

I'd like to propose that anyone who is in that situation with an album they just can't get into, and would like to, could ask for help here. Just drop in the album and if necessary a link, and someone can take it up, listen to it and explain what they got out of it, perhaps show you something you missed or give you a better idea of how good, or bad, the album is.

Few rules: no generally dismissive comments, such as "piece of crap, wouldn't bother" etc.

Only those who have an interest in the artiste or genre should really get involved, in other words, there's little point in Batty telling me why Marillion's new album sucks, or me trying to explain why 50 Cent's latest blows.

Be constructive. Don't do people down. Help if you can.

If you also don't like the album, you can say so but don't enter into a discussion about why it sucks. That's not really what this is about.

Either one or a group of people can take each album on, but anyone who does should either listen to it or have listened to it (no pre-judging please) and anyone willing to take one on should say so in the thread, so the person looking for help knows someone is going to try.

Probably be a lot harder than most other threads, as this really requires some time and work. But it would be nice if it got some interest.

Anyway, with that in mind, here's one I have trouble with.

Can't Look Away --- Trevor Rabin

It's odd, because I like later Yes, but I just can't see much in this. I like the title track, "Hold on to love" and "Sorrow (Your heart)" to a degree, but the rest, no. Possibly a guitarist might have a better view of it? Anyway, if anyone wants to listen to it and tell me what they think, perhaps you can change my mind about it, perhaps not.

Thanks.

Oh, anyone else who wants to post an album can do so at the same time; you don't have to wait till this one is sorted. If you care.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,427
Default

I think you probably just don't like it that much mate.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 5,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Anyway, with that in mind, here's one I have trouble with.

Can't Look Away --- Trevor Rabin

It's odd, because I like later Yes, but I just can't see much in this. I like the title track, "Hold on to love" and "Sorrow (Your heart)" to a degree, but the rest, no. Possibly a guitarist might have a better view of it? Anyway, if anyone wants to listen to it and tell me
I skimmed through it, and from what I can tell, this is just Trevor Rabin in his comfort zone, with little or no influence from the sources that were around him at that time, save for any lingering effects of the songwriting process from being in Yes, which are prevalent throughout. Big, bombastic soundscapes, and overly saturated guitar were at the forefront in 1989, and he was cashing in. He was a big name in the industry, and probably had some pressure from his backing people to do a solo effort. A lot of times, a guitar player will take certain familiar practice riffs, and generate a motif from them, which they then string a few of these together to form a complete song. No real purpose, or cognitive effort to create something that stirs any emotion other than the writers sense of accomplishment. This, to me, seems to be the approach here, and although it sounds good to the creators ear, will mostly fall flat at the end-user experience. I don't know if I could persuade you to like it anymore than you already do, or don't as is the case, but there's a little bit of perspective from another guitar player.
__________________
See location...
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'm back, baby! Again.
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Staring out my window at a world that has changed fundamentally
Posts: 22,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
I skimmed through it, and from what I can tell, this is just Trevor Rabin in his comfort zone, with little or no influence from the sources that were around him at that time, save for any lingering effects of the songwriting process from being in Yes, which are prevalent throughout. Big, bombastic soundscapes, and overly saturated guitar were at the forefront in 1989, and he was cashing in. He was a big name in the industry, and probably had some pressure from his backing people to do a solo effort. A lot of times, a guitar player will take certain familiar practice riffs, and generate a motif from them, which they then string a few of these together to form a complete song. No real purpose, or cognitive effort to create something that stirs any emotion other than the writers sense of accomplishment. This, to me, seems to be the approach here, and although it sounds good to the creators ear, will mostly fall flat at the end-user experience. I don't know if I could persuade you to like it anymore than you already do, or don't as is the case, but there's a little bit of perspective from another guitar player.
Thanks for that Plank. I was hoping to get a guitar player's perspective as I said. So maybe it isn't that good. Mind you, I'm told the title track was a song about his native South Africa and the injustices practiced there, so there was some thought put into it. Just maybe, not enough.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 5,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Thanks for that Plank. I was hoping to get a guitar player's perspective as I said. So maybe it isn't that good. Mind you, I'm told the title track was a song about his native South Africa and the injustices practiced there, so there was some thought put into it. Just maybe, not enough.
I did only skim through it, so that's just my knee jerk assessment of it. I'd need a few attentive listens to really get to the heart of it. I'm not a fan of the 80's arena rock stuff so, it'd take a small miracle for that to happen.
__________________
See location...
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 11,010
Default

It was a good assessment.

For me Trevor's shining hour was on Big Generator.
__________________
General Rules:
• While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, trolling, purposeless inflammatory posts or members deliberately provoking another member into committing any of these acts. - Mods exempt.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
I'm back, baby! Again.
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Staring out my window at a world that has changed fundamentally
Posts: 22,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
It was a good assessment.

For me Trevor's shining hour was on Big Generator.
I would definitely agree with that. Excellent album. Solo on "Shoot high, aim low"?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
can't reform em
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 34,229
Default

Why is my negative opinion of this album wrong and how can I have the right opinion about it?



Cheekiness aside, I never got the big whoop about this one.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.


Last edited by Frownland; 06-29-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
I'm back, baby! Again.
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Staring out my window at a world that has changed fundamentally
Posts: 22,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Why is my negative opinion of this album wrong and how can I have the right opinion about it?



Cheekiness aside, I never got the big whoop about this one.
As someone who just discovered he loves In Rainbows and may be a Radiohead, um, head, I'll give it a listen and see what I think, if you like. Fresh ears, you know?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
As someone who just discovered he loves In Rainbows and may be a Radiohead, um, head, I'll give it a listen and see what I think, if you like. Fresh ears, you know?
I thought you weren't into "doing the same artiste twice" huh? Sucking on that Frown cock I see
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.