Music Banter - View Single Post - What You Wish Pop Sounded Like
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 12:20 AM   #47 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
I personally do, although both Michael Jackson and Donna Summer are miles ahead of Rihanna in the talent department, the latter two had people compose their music for them and it came out a lot better. Record companies rarely hire session musicians anymore because its cheaper to hire a producer who will sample a beat.

Sampling is an art and a talent, and when you get artists like Massive Attack doing it its brilliant, but underground artists often have a deep passion for music and knowledge on how to compose music in a certain key. Rihanna is just a t and a dancing puppet with some half ass Dj making her music.
Now how is Rihanna different apart from the change in technology? I think that if electronics were outright banned in pop music, then we'd still get the same bland crap but on non-electronic instruments since it sells so easily. The music that's easy to cater to the masses is rarely something that you'd hear Massive Attack or Burial doing. I think you have more of a problem with the style of music that you're used to hearing sampling/electronics in these days than with sampling or electronics themselves.

Quote:
Anyways I'm not taking aim at the music you like because its cool, cheers.
It's not even that I like the music, although there are some artists who definitely use sampling and electronics that I enjoy, it's the blanket statement nature of how you regard modern music. To expound on my earlier point, the argument you're coming out with is like saying that you don't like the saxophone because it's in all of those jazz pieces that you hate (not you personally, just an analogy), even though it's used in a variety of other genres outside of jazz.

Anyway, Goofle's rec thread reminded me of this. I wish this type of thing was more popular. Got any similar artists, Goof?

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote