Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Pop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #41 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,128
Default

The technology has and continues to advance so much that maybe 20 years ago WTB would have a valid point, but the argument against sampling doesn't hold much water these days.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #42 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
William_the_Bloody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sunnydale Cemetary
Posts: 2,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
The technology has and continues to advance so much that maybe 20 years ago WTB would have a valid point, but the argument against sampling doesn't hold much water these days.
I disagree, I still know people who work in the industry and the technology hasn't advanced that much.

You could splice individual notes and rearrange it when I worked in the business to, but unless you have a software program that can take the snipits and rearrange them into timed notes of your choosing as well as changing the tone, and the sound bank, then your still limited. You also need a program that will be able to time the percussion instruments (Drums) perfectly.

I'm not opposed to sampling because your borrowing other people's work, I'm opposed to it because as the technology stands it is still confined, which is why songs like Rihanna's S.O.S suck $hit. It could never have the creativity of Soft Cell's Tainted Love or the original version.

One day electronic music will rule all! but as it stands now its still largely run by dj's who sample a beat and build around it, instead of creating their own choruses and bridges.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:10 PM   #43 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
One day electronic music will rule all! but as it stands now its still largely run by dj's who sample a beat and build around it, instead of creating their own choruses and bridges.
This is such a small part of electronic music though.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:33 PM   #44 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
William_the_Bloody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sunnydale Cemetary
Posts: 2,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
This is such a small part of electronic music though.
I would argue that DJ's are the biggest part of electronic culture, particularly the ones pulling in million dollar salaries, Skrillex,Calvin Harris ect)

The electronic underground will always be filled with good artists, the problem happens when you get artists without musical talent (Rihanna) relying on some producer to sample a beat for her, because she is incapable of composing her own work. Otherwise I wouldn't have a problem with the process.

Anyways I made my point. I don't hate electronic music, I love it, but I hate it when samples are applied to manufactured pop artists who can't produce their own music, because it makes for very, very, bad pop music.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:46 PM   #45 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
I would argue that DJ's are the biggest part of electronic culture, particularly the ones pulling in million dollar salaries, Skrillex,Calvin Harris ect)

The electronic underground will always be filled with good artists, the problem happens when you get artists without musical talent (Rihanna) relying on some producer to sample a beat for her, because she is incapable of composing her own work. Otherwise I wouldn't have a problem with the process.

Anyways I made my point. I don't hate electronic music, I love it, but I hate it when samples are applied to manufactured pop artists who can't produce their own music, because it makes for very, very, bad pop music.
My point was that the great underground artists can use that same method that Rihanna uses to create some brilliant music. I don't think that it's the creation method itself that makes bad music, it's just that very palatable music (as far as the general public goes) using those methods can create bad music. Do you think that if Rihanna (or her songwriters) switched to non-electronic methods of composition, the music would become better? I really don't see that happening tbh.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:06 AM   #46 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
William_the_Bloody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sunnydale Cemetary
Posts: 2,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
My point was that the great underground artists can use that same method that Rihanna uses to create some brilliant music. I don't think that it's the creation method itself that makes bad music, it's just that very palatable music (as far as the general public goes) using those methods can create bad music. Do you think that if Rihanna (or her songwriters) switched to non-electronic methods of composition, the music would become better? I really don't see that happening tbh.
I personally do, although both Michael Jackson and Donna Summer are miles ahead of Rihanna in the talent department, the latter two had people compose their music for them and it came out a lot better. Record companies rarely hire session musicians anymore because its cheaper to hire a producer who will sample a beat.

Sampling is an art and a talent, and when you get artists like Massive Attack doing it its brilliant, but underground artists often have a deep passion for music and knowledge on how to compose music in a certain key. Rihanna is just a t and a dancing puppet with some half ass Dj making her music.

Anyways I'm not taking aim at the music you like because its cool, cheers.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:20 AM   #47 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
I personally do, although both Michael Jackson and Donna Summer are miles ahead of Rihanna in the talent department, the latter two had people compose their music for them and it came out a lot better. Record companies rarely hire session musicians anymore because its cheaper to hire a producer who will sample a beat.

Sampling is an art and a talent, and when you get artists like Massive Attack doing it its brilliant, but underground artists often have a deep passion for music and knowledge on how to compose music in a certain key. Rihanna is just a t and a dancing puppet with some half ass Dj making her music.
Now how is Rihanna different apart from the change in technology? I think that if electronics were outright banned in pop music, then we'd still get the same bland crap but on non-electronic instruments since it sells so easily. The music that's easy to cater to the masses is rarely something that you'd hear Massive Attack or Burial doing. I think you have more of a problem with the style of music that you're used to hearing sampling/electronics in these days than with sampling or electronics themselves.

Quote:
Anyways I'm not taking aim at the music you like because its cool, cheers.
It's not even that I like the music, although there are some artists who definitely use sampling and electronics that I enjoy, it's the blanket statement nature of how you regard modern music. To expound on my earlier point, the argument you're coming out with is like saying that you don't like the saxophone because it's in all of those jazz pieces that you hate (not you personally, just an analogy), even though it's used in a variety of other genres outside of jazz.

Anyway, Goofle's rec thread reminded me of this. I wish this type of thing was more popular. Got any similar artists, Goof?

__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:40 AM   #48 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
William_the_Bloody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sunnydale Cemetary
Posts: 2,093
Default

I see what your saying, but I listen to a lot of disco from the 70's and I just find that the compositions are musically superior because you had bad ensembles composing whole pieces of music.

I think the sampler is great when it is used by underground artists who know what there doing, but because of its current limitations (which may change) I don't feel it has the creative freedom that an instrument has.

I can't change the fact that there is going to crappy pop stars out there who care more about fame and fortune than they do making good music, but as a consumer at least I can demand that they have some measure of talent. Unfortunately anyone over 20 doesn't seem to matter.

Neat song by the way.

Anyways I'm kind of feeling that I have hijacked Janzoon's thread, so I think it would be best to have someone get it back on track.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #49 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,128
Default

Guess what? That song was made using electronics...
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #50 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Got any similar artists, Goof?
I've not heard anything quite like CC unfortunately.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.