Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Album Survivor [1st Wave Black Metal Division]
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #1331 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicLePanther View Post
1. You probably haven't actually heard much Dream Theater, or you're under the impression that anything that isn't extremely heavy is "wank".
1.) I've heard plenty of Dream Theater. It's not wank because it isn't heavy enough, it's wank because it's technical for the sake of being technical at the expense of the songs.

2.) If you knew of my extreme love of cheesy power metal then you wouldn't say that I need my metal to be heavy. Blind Guardian and Angra are plenty complex, and even pseudo-proggy at times, but I worship them.

Quote:
2. It is actually useful if you just want to get a general idea of an artist. The reason Octavarium is at #4 is because of the title track.
Oh god, the title track is the worst thing about that album. The definition of boring wank.

Quote:
Spoiler for big vids:

Although a lot of progressive bands before Rush got maybe even heavier sounds. For instance:

None of that really goes above hard rock status. I have heard Hemispheres, and while it rocks hard as a bitch, I just don't think it's truly metal. Proto-metal perhaps (like Zeppelin and Deep Purple), but we've already done a proto-metal battle. And is Rush's first album even really prog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicLePanther View Post
You know what, whatever. You guys are clearly in the position we all call,"Not getting it". Just use Images and Words. I'd rather see Dream Theater in there at all than put their best album there.
Don't get all defensive. People hate bands they dislike immensely. That's what subjective musical opinion is about. If I just don't get Dream Theater, then I'd say you also just don't get Celtic Frost.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote