Music Banter - View Single Post - The rise and fall of musical genres
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #40 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Lost interest in about two months, when I realized it was nothing more than 3rd rate Nuclear Assault worship, kept from any kind of real sonic threat by self-consciously retro schtick. The "thrash revival" is one of the worst jokes in the entirety of metal history. Post-"Home Sweet Home" hair metal had more creative worth.
Yes I would tend to agree, some of the crossover thrash bands like Toxic Holocaust & Short Sharp Shock were really good though.

But the straight up thrash bands like Evile & Warbringer didn't seem to have the talent of the big 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
We'll agree to disagree. I'm not one for fighting and I sure don't want to derail your thread. Yeah, my prog thing was the first thing posted after your OP. I haven't commented since as it's kind of gone in a pretty much rap/hip-hop direction and I have no insight into that.

I do feel however my point about genres crossing over is worth exploring?
I actually did respond to your post, you just missed it. I liked your point on how each new generation feels the need to make sure their music is different from their parents, thus it appeared that the decline of musical genres seemed inevitable.

I guess that is true about prog rock, to be honest it's one genre I know nothing about, basically because it puts me to sleep. If you could map out when it started to ascend, peak and then crash, that would be awesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
Wish i could but honestly idk enough about new wave yet to do that. i know enough to not call the Strokes new wave though.

It's only in recent years ive taken an interest in the New wave movement of the 80's im more familiar with the grunge movement of the 90's.
A lot of people have labeled The Strokes & Interpol as part of a "new wave revival" but I would disagree as well, though the influence was definitely in their music.

New Wave essentials, U2, The Police, Blondie, the Eurthymics, Duran Duran, Men at Work, The Bangles & any new wave hits from 81 to 84. By the mid late 80's new wave starts to become over sophisticated & commercialized & thus was eventually given the boot.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote