Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #1796 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Seams and Splices
Artiste: Grindy
Genre:
Taken from: n/a
Familiarity: Zero
Suggested by: Grindy

Expectations: I have no idea. I hope it's good though and I can say good things about it, as some of the music from members here has not been at all to my taste, and it's not nice to have to write negatively about the music of people you know.

Seems to be some violin opening, sharp, kind of Paganini style, rolling little drumbeat which is both at odds with and in perfect synch with the music. There's a piano now going a bit wild, but the main instrument seems to be the violin, which is being played very well, even if, as it may be, it's a synthesiser. The music does have that cut-in-cut-out style that I really loathe though (remember James Blake?) but it has a kind of racing quality to it that somehow puts me in mind of “Dave the Butcher” from Waits (shurrup Frown). I also get a sense of those old Tom & Jerry cartoons in some of it, don't ask me why. There's some bass in there too, but it's all a little too fragmented for my taste. Well played though, there's no doubt about that.

Now, these Soundcloud things always confuse me because when the tracks end another begins, but there's no detail and the graphic stops moving, so I'm going to assume it's not yours, Grindy? Starts with some sort of harpsichord sound? If yours ended on the uptempo violin then I think I got that right. If not, let me know.

Conclusion: Definitely not my thing, but still very good for what it is. The boy's got talent!

So, Love or Hate? I certainly didn't hate it, so let's give it some Love.