Music Banter - View Single Post - UK Politics
Thread: UK Politics
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 11:06 PM   #41 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
You are making the mistake of thinking immigrants move to a location because of the climate or how nice a city is, the reality is they will move to a location for work opportunities, contacts there or possible benefits etc.

Italy might be much nicer than Scotland but it is what is known as a transit country for lots of immigrants, as they are often treated like immigrants in these countries, lack worker rights and are offered poor conditions, whereas in northern europe of where Scotland is their conditions will be a lot better,
I'm aware that economic opportunity is the primary driver, but I do think climate plays a role, especially if your climatized to being in a warmer region. (Bulgaria, Albania ect)

As I've explained to Monkey Tennis, if Scotland were to separate, their GDP would be significantly reduced in size. Outside of oil, Scotland isn't going to be much of an economic driver once its absorbed by the EU.

Thus, I just don't see many Eastern Europeans emigrating to the region. They'll have to attract immigrants from places where people will see a significant boost in their standard of living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Italy might be much nicer than Scotland but it is what is known as a transit country for lots of immigrants, as they are often treated like immigrants in these countries, lack worker rights and are offered poor conditions, whereas in northern europe of where Scotland is their conditions will be a lot better,
Yes I have a few Italian friends and they are pretty strict on the immigration, but they tell me that migrants from Eastern Europe while not embraced, or more or less tolerated in the major cities.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote