Music Banter - View Single Post - Metallica and Megadeth
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #47 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Got mad **** to do that I should be doing right now but I'm irresponsible, so I'll probably only be able to respond fully tomorrow. But I understand your points and don't disagree 100%. I just think your view of the internet's influence on music is skewed to the black and white, rather than the grey area. There are good and bad things to everything (f.ex. the Holocaust was obviously bad, but it also marginalized anti-Semitism to an extent that wouldn't have happened nearly as soon otherwise, which probably also had an effect on the Civil Rights movements in America), and I think you should take a step back and be a bit more objective.

I tell you what I'm tired of arguing this so I'll throw in the towel and just say...

It isn't the internets influence on music I have a problem with, but the free downloading of music that makes it harder for musicians to survive. (Not to incriminate myself, but I'm far from a saint in this area.)

And to me the height of metal is rock songs with killer guitar riffs (Motley Crue: Shout at the Devil, Accept: Balls to the Wall) All the great metal artists historically got huge advances in $$$ to have top studio production time for their albums. I guarantee you Reign in Blood wouldn't sound half as good if they had been signed to some indie label like combat records.

I also have a tendency to view underground metal with genres that led to its decline as an isolated niche genre for a small group of fans (black/death metal) or something more esoteric & experimental.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a fan of these genres, but for myself personally, I can spend hours pouring over European influenced death metal albums, or black Viking pagan metal extra extra, until I actually find a song I want to listen to, while I could listen to almost every track on metallica's Kill em all over and over again.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote