Music Banter - View Single Post - Paris attacks again
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #43 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isbjørn View Post
Plus, we don't react as much to tragedies that are partly caused by our own countries. When NATO bombed Libya, people barely lifted an eye here in Norway. The politicians talked about it as if it was a humanitarian intervention - except for one leftist party that has later made some effort to apologize for voting for the bombing in parliament. The media didn't say much either. People don't want to read stuff that makes them feel guilty.
Well I do think the liberal interventionism which has been a hallmark of the Democrat Party going back to Woodrow Wilson, and has infected the Republican Party under the guise of neo conservatism (basically Wilsonianism) is part of the problem.

The idea that we can replace strong men with legislative assemblies in countries that have absolutely no tradition of the rule of law or democracy is utopian. Libya is worse off now than it is under Gaddafi.

This whole nonsense pushed by the media of an Arab Spring was nothing more than rulers losing their grip because they had become extremely unpopular once the effects of 2009 crash and slowdown hit the Arab world.

Some rulers lost power, (Gaddafi) and some re-established their power, (Egypt) and they did not do it by establishing habeas corpus, and the rule of law.

-Did anyone think that a country with sectarian violence like Iraq would have become a full fledge democracy?

-That the majority of the Shia population would embrace Americanism over their brothers in Iran?

-That the Sunni population would stand by and except having their power and resources stripped away after dominating the region for years under Saddam?

-That Libya wouldn't break down into tribal warring factions, but instead would come together to make a functioning western democracy?

-By continuing to support the rebels in the South of Syria, we will one day bring about a great democratic nation filled with Wallmart's and Mcdonalds?

- That the Muslim Brotherhood wouldn't attempt a power grab in Egypt and that it would have turned into a great western democracy

I think it's safe to say that American & western foreign policy of the 21st century has been abject failure.

We need to get over the western guilt of imperialism that liberals & Marxists like to shame people into feeling, and get back to the Realpolitik of Henri Kissinger, and support stability. "He may be an as$hole! but he's our as$hole!"

Yes I'm a conservative on foreign policy because presently it doesn't exist!

anyways that's my rant!
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote