Music Banter - View Single Post - Whaddya want?!
Thread: Whaddya want?!
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #290 (permalink)
TechnicLePanther
and the livin' is easy...

Album: God Bless the Red Krayola and All Who Sail With It
Artist: The Red Krayola
Genre: Experimental Rock
Suggested by: Frownland
Familiarity: None.

1. Say Hello to Jamie Jones - Very simplistic, with only bass, drums and vocals, but I enjoy it well enough. I enjoy it more and more the longer it goes on. Great start.

2. Music - Again very simple and short, but I enjoy it a lot. The ending's too abrupt though.

3. The Shirt - Now we're getting really experimental. Can't really even tell what's happening. Sounds like the song's playing on a radio as some random banging noises happen in the foreground. Alrighty then.

4. Listen to This - Way too short for a proper evaluation. I enjoy the humor of it though.

5. Save the House - Some vocal knots in the style of Gentle Giant here over a small melody. It's fine enough.

6. Victory Garden - I like the quieter guitars and bass here. Alright, fine.

7. Coconut Hotel - I'd be lying if I said the charm of these short songs isn't wearing thin. Still fine, I guess.

8. Sheriff Jack - Now this, I can get into. It's a bit awkward and disjointed, but it's not annoying. I enjoy this quite a bit.

9. Free Piece - Fast and frenetic drumming here. A bit jazzy. The bass and guitar fade in and out here and there. The drumming is really excellent.

10. Ravi Shankar: Parachutist - Some classic psych rock here. The songwriting is not very engaging at all though. Yeah, I don't think this one is any good for me. In fact, the more I hear it, the more this one wears on me. It's pretty lame.

11. Piece for Piano and Electric Bass - Ow, my ears at the start. Nothing particularly interesting about this one either.

12. Dairymaid's Lament - Doesn't sound like a lament at all. It's got a lot of energy. And the jazziness shines through on this one. Hey, they even have a sort of verse in this one. I like it quite a bit. This one sounds sort of proto-punky. Yeah, this is better.

13. Big - Hmm. Little girl talking, and a bit of organ nonsense. Alright, fine.

14. Leejol - This one almost feels like the quieter Primus songs, just without Claypool's vocals. It's fine with me.

15. Sherlock Holmes - This is one of the few songs on the album that has the classic song structure. With a guitar solo in the middle, it has a nice feel to it. Cool.

16. Dirth of Tilth - Now this feels like psych rock. But it feels like the bland, uninteresting side of psych rock. It's just too frustrating.

17. Tina's Gone to Have a Baby - I like the guitar riff here. Unfortunately, it doesn't last the whole song. Not annoying, but still pretty bland.

18. The Jewels of the Madonna - I like the punky rhythm here. Alright, maybe it's just barely punchy enough for me to like it.

19. Green of My Pants - The longest song on the album, at a grand total of 3 minutes. Sounds a bit depressing when I put it that way. Still, this song is still good. It's still got that psych thing going on, but this one has a bit better songwriting. Intriguing.

20. Night Song - Can we have something that's just quiet and mellow to end it? Yes. This is exactly what I was hoping for right now. Picks up a bit towards the end, but it's still good by me.

This is probably best referred to as a repository of ideas rather than a straightforward album. The "songs" aren't really fleshed out enough to be called songs, but for what they're worth, they are definitely engaging. Lots of noisy noodling, but there are some very innovative ideas here. It's worth a look, but only if you're willing to endure some ineffective bits. As for myself, I'll definitely check out Mayo's later work, just to see what it's like.

OVERALL RATING: 7/10

SUGGEST ME AN ALBUM - I'm probably not going to listen to it but I will if you bother me enough.
TechnicLePanther is offline   Reply With Quote