Music Banter - View Single Post - The Future of Prog looking forward, Grim?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tributary Records View Post
A synth is like an effect for a guitarist. It's a keyboard running through a signal process. The player performs and the sound is heard instantly through an amp as they are playing so there is real time feedback.

Copy and pasting sound clips around in a computer program is not playing an instrument. It may be digital sound collaging, but it's not playing an instrument.

Yes, you can create music through computer sound collaging, but it should not be confused with a musician playing an instrument in real time.
If you think on a higher level of what a guitar and a computer have in common, they're both tools that a musical artist can use to create music. Using both involve different processes, techniques and challenges. You can create sounds and invoke feelings with a guitar which are difficult to do with music composition software, likewise you can create sounds and feelings with music composition software that are difficult to achieve with a guitar. Neither of them can stop a musical artist from being creative and making progressive music.

Quote:
A painter should not be confused with someone taking a picture with their iPhone, then using one of the digital programs to simulate a painting from that image.
Of course not, they're both different things. Someone simulating a painting on a computer isn't a good example though, better would be a graphic design artist creating art from scratch on a computer. Similarly a musician should not be confused with a composer. There's a lot of amazing electronic artists that I acknowledge as talented composers and producers but I don't see them as musicians in the same way as a guitarist in a rock band. I also wouldn't consider a guitarist in a rock band playing someone else's music perfectly note for note to be a composer. But both of them can be considered artists in their own right.

Quote:
One also should understand the different between reflective light and pixelated light. All the world around us is seen through reflective light except for the artificial light we see coming from electronic monitors. It's different and affects us differently.
Again, different things with different purposes. Rock music effects me differently to electronic music. Rock music can take my head to places that electronic music can't reach, likewise electronic music can take my head to places that rock music can't reach.

If you have the mindset that electronic (or more specifically computer-composed) music is vastly inferior to music created with a conventional musical instrument then you are not looking at electronic music from the right viewpoint. And I'd certainly consider an electronic artist like Aphex Twin to be progressive in the same way that prog bands in the 70's were.