Music Banter - View Single Post - The Future of Prog looking forward, Grim?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #42 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tributary Records View Post
I get links sent over all the time. I usually don't listen for very long because I find quantization very boring and un original. As soon as one goes in and starts manipulating things with a computer, it's no longer the artist playing those parts. It's something else.

As far as posting links here, I'm respectful of the artists not to do that. But there is plenty of over manipulated nonsense out there, but I don't like to criticize other artists specifically by individual.
That's a very sneaky way to avoid answering the question there. I'm just going to assume that you're conjecturing with no real basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tributary Records View Post
Not here to argue. This thread is about the future of progressive rock. Electronica once created on real time instruments like Tangerine Dream did in the 70's. Today, it is digital sound collaging is it not? Why is that offensive?
It's not offensive, but there's no reason not to call them songs. Kind of sounds like you have a disdain for it so you refuse to lump it in with things that you do like.

Quote:
I remember in school cutting out magazine pages and making collages on poster board. There was some briefly interesting stuff. I don't see that stuff going into art museums often.
You were probably pretty ****ty at collages, didn't have good marketing, and didn't have the connections to get into a museum. Here's some great collage art that's more advanced than what you'll see at an arts and crafts table:

Quote:
Can one of the pro electronica posters here put up a video of some of this great electronica stuff that is so wonderful?
1. You don't have to like electronic music to consider electronic instruments as instruments. Sticking your head in the ground because you don't like the music and continuously shouting that they aren't instruments doesn't do much to strength your case. Anything used to make music is a musical instrument, simple as that. Bang on a toilet seat for percussion? Congratulations, toilet seat, you are now an instrument. You can do all the mental gymnastics that you want about vibrations and all that nonsense, but that won't change that fact.

2. Here you go

Still, whether you may like any of these is beside the point.

3. Getting worked up about how an artist makes music (such as using electronics) only hinders your enjoyment of good music.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote