Music Banter - View Single Post - Talent
Thread: Talent
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I think that one important thing is often forgotten, especially in, errh... geekier circles (the metal community, the prog community, this community), namely the importance of playing with feel.

Go to a really good, respected, cello teacher for instance. Then learn to play super difficult pieces fast, precise and without flaw. Most likely, the teacher will tell you that you are terrible and need more practice. This is because playing with feel is just as important as technical skill. It's 50%/50%, but most prog/metal supposed "virtuosos" have very little skill in the expressive part of that equation.

Basically, I'm saying that in my mind, most highly regarded prog/metal "gods" are of neglible talent in my eyes.

This goes for singers as well. Hell, just to be a bastard and push the issue a bit more, I'll divulge that I think Opeth is a mediocre band because they play like sleepy robots. At least pre- Heritage.
Isn't 'playing with feel' a technical skill as well? It's about controlling subtle nuances of the sound after all.
As for shredders and such, I think they just aim for different aesthetics.