Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock Album Survivor
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #351 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Just so you know, do what you want as I say with Bat out of Hell but please stop putting down Wayne. That album celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2008 and went back on tour; the ticket sales were huge. People remembered it from their childhood/growing up. It was so popular that a new version was recorded in 2012 with a younger cast, and prior to that it had been re-released and remixed loads of times. It's a very popular album and very unique. Nobody to my knowledge had before taken a well-known story and made it into a rock opera (unless you count the likes of Jesus Christ Superstar; well let's say a novel) so it was something totally new at the time. The stars that played on it --- Richard Burton, Phil Lynott, David Essex etc --- make it one of the most important albums of its time, and if you had been living/interested in music in 1978 you certainly would have heard about it. It also spawned a top ten hit in the UK and is one of the biggest selling albums of all time in the UK.

It definitely deserves a place. For my money, albums like The Wall, Tommy, should be there. But now that I look at the list, aren't you mixing up rock operas with concept albums? 2112? The Lamb? I know the latter was slated to be made into a movie, but that's not a rock opera either. Concept album does not equal rock opera. Also, Quadrophenia over Tommy? You serious???
But the albums have a story. The story wasn't from the movie, and 2112's title track takes up more than half the album, is split into seven tracks on re-releases, and is a story about a man being discriminated for his love of the guitar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_La...Broadway#Story

That story section isn't taken from the movie. A rock album that tells a story. You're not even bothering to look up if these albums have stories. Plus, I already said that Tommy was taken. Yes, it's true, I like Quadrophenia more. BUt a lot of people do. And like I said, I don't really care about the rest, but the majority of these albums are voted to be rock operas on RYM, and for good reason. I'll give you 2112, though. 2112 isn't voted a rock opera on RYM but there are still plenty of lists out there who consider the album a rock opera, even though the last few tracks of 2112 don't have anything to do with the story.

I don't mean to put down Jeff Wayne, and I was not trying to say Jeff Wayne didn't deserve a shot. but don't call my Bat Out of Hell a travesty. If its that bad, why have you been listening to it for thirty years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
And when it comes time to vote, people are going to vote for the album they like better, so what's the point of putting up an album they probably won't like as much? Why not just include the album that's gonna stand the better chance of winning in the first place? If other albums before this one have been included because of historical importance then they shouldn't have been.

I could give a **** about you being rude, but as someone who's been running a survivor thread for a year it's annoying to see someone feel entitled in such a childish manner. Over one freakin' album. If I were running this thread I'd have been strongly tempted to have thrown it out just for spite.
And I already said I apologized, so back off.

Last edited by JGuy Grungeman; 01-17-2016 at 07:33 AM.
JGuy Grungeman is offline   Reply With Quote